Organisation: The Scottish Seabird Centre
Salary: £10.95 per hour
Location: North Berwick
We welcome hundreds of people each week to our Centre and this role ensures that the variety, quality and sustainability of food products provided through our Seabird Café contributes to the customer’s overall experience.
We are looking for an enthusiastic person who will support the team in providing an excellent experience in our café, who leads by example on customer care and who handles all customer compliments and complaints in a professional way. The supervisor will be a team player and, as part of our visitor experience management structure, will be trained in the tasks of the Centre Duty Manager.
i. Provide a warm and friendly welcome to our customers ensuring that they have a good customer experience and that our approach is inclusive towards everyone.
ii. Support the catering management team in running the Seabird Café and kitchen to deliver a varied menu that meets the sustainability (local, sustainable sources) and quality (taste, presentation, value) of products we serve in the café.
iii. Undertake specific duties assigned by the catering management team including stock receipting, checking equipment is operational and daily cash/payment reconciliation.
iv. Supervise café and kitchen staff ensuring that they understand their duties and are supported to carry these out effectively day to day, including supporting training needs as required.
v. Assist with the preparation of food in the kitchen, when required.
vi. Ensure all caterings areas are checked and are fully operational, cleaned and meet required hygiene standards.
vii. Efficiently handle customer compliments and complaints.
viii. Work safely, observing all Health & Safety policies, and procedures.
ix. Be willing to learn about our wider charitable activities and talk to customers about these, including promoting the benefits of visiting our paid experience and membership.
x. Carry out any other reasonable duty which is within the competence of the post, when directed by the catering management team or Duty Manager to assist.
Essential skills and experience
• Consistent delivery of a high-quality visitor experience, with a customer-focused attitude.
• A confident communicator – verbal and written.
• Organised with an ability to take the initiative, prioritise your work and supervise others.
• A team player – adaptable and flexible to a varied working environment and able to handle customer compliments and complaints.
• An ability to work under pressure at peak times.
• An appropriate means of transport to get the Centre across the working week between 0830 and 1800 and occasional evening events.
Desirable skills and experience
• Alignment with our charity’s conservation and education goals.
• An awareness of and affinity to environmental sustainability.
Our values underpin everything we do. We take pride in bringing these to life in all that we do. We are:
• PASSIONATE about Scotland’s coastal and marine environment.
• INSPIRE others to explore and care for Scotland’s coastal and marine environment.
• INNOVATE with the approaches we use to engage with people.
• COLLABORATE with local and national partners to convey the importance of Scotland’s marine environment.
• INFORMED about the current health of Scotland’s marine wildlife and habitats and the actions required to protect it.
• TRUSTWORTHY providing reliable information and acting with integrity and without bias.
Performance: To be measured against clearly defined measurable and challenging goals.
• Working for a successful conservation and education charity in a stunning location.
• Pension available.
• Training and development for everyone.
• 20% discount in the Centre’s Gift Shop and Seabird Café.
• 10% discount on the Seabird Centre boat trips.
• Free entry to the Discovery Experience, for you and family members (restrictions on numbers apply).
• Free access to a range of Scottish visitor attractions with an Association of Scottish Visitor Attractions card.
• Free access/ special offers for a range of East Lothian attractions with an East Lothian Tourism Attraction Group card.