Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £22,797 - £24,071 pro-rata, per annum
Purpose of the role
To assist the Head Chef in the day-to-day management of the Food & Beverage offer at Culzean Castle to ensure that all targets are met, and all visitors receive the highest level of visitor experience standards.
• Assist with the development of the Menu Cycle/Specification
• Contribute to food production as per the Menu Cycle/Specification and event Food Production (corporate, hospitality, meetings etc.)
• Keeping up to date HACCP, COSHH checklists and temperature sheets.
• Ensure high Standards of Kitchen hygiene, cleanliness, tidiness and related schedules
• Use fresh produce and ingredients whenever and wherever is possible and minimise wastage.
• Maintain a high standard of food presentation to the customer
• Share in the common responsibility of implementing the Trust’s “Health & Safety Policy”, being mindful at all times of the health and safety of self, staff, volunteers, and visitors.
• Share in the common responsibility of working in a manner mindful of the Trust’s obligations to minimise impact on the environment, through e.g. efficient use of water/heat/light, recycling and the disposal of waste, considered use of transport
• Help to reduce occurrences where Health or Safety of yourself and other employees may be put in jeopardy
• Adherence to the COSHH Training provided and control of substances covered by COSHH
• Involvement in the upkeep and maintenance of both the entire department site and, specifically, the Catering Outlets
• Involvement in assessing and preserving the safety of utensils and equipment used within the Catering Outlets
SCOPE OF ROLE
• The Post Holder does not have direct line management responsibilities, but would be expected to deputise in the absence of the Head Chef/Supervisor and direct kitchen staff.
• Not a budget holder but responsible for the day to day management of stock
Skills, experience & knowledge
The above outlines the key skills and behaviours the job holder will need to possess and exercise. In addition, either knowledge of or experience in the following is required:
• Demonstrable experience as a chef in preparing and producing food to a consistently high standard using fresh products and ingredients.
• Demonstrable baking experience.
• Intermediate Food Hygiene Certificate
• Highly developed organisational skills, deployable in a multi-tasking environment;
• Good communication skills (written and oral)
• Ability to work as part of a team and the ability to foster and motivate a team;
• First Aid at Work certificate
• HNC Professional Cookery
• NC Bakery
• Preferably a recognised formal qualification in culinary arts
The current duties of this job do not require a criminal records (Disclosure Scotland) check to be carried out.
The Key Responsibilities, Skills, Experience & Knowledge reflect the requirements of the job at the time of issue. The Trust reserves the right to amend these with appropriate consultation and/or request the post-holder to undertake any activities that it believes to be reasonable within the broad scope of the job or his/her general abilities.
Interested applicants should forward a completed application form to the People Services Department (Applications), The National Trust for Scotland, Hermiston Quay, 5 Cultins Road Edinburgh EH11 4DF, by mail or by email via email@example.com, by 10th February 2022.
Application Deadline: Friday 10/02/2023