Conservation Technician Paintings and Frames
Organisation: National Galleries of Scotland
Salary: £21,552 - £23,745
CONSERVATION TECHNICIAN – PAINTINGS AND FRAMES (Band 7A)
FULL-TIME (ALTHOUGH REQUESTS FOR PART-TIME WILL BE CONSIDERED), FIXED TERM (4 MONTHS)
The Conservation Technicians make up a small group of specialists sitting within the Conservation Department. Their main purpose is to devise and implement systems to ensure that the NGS collections and those works on loan to NGS are displayed, stored and transported in a safe and appropriate manner.
The role of the Conservation Technician – Paintings and Frames is to work with two other technicians to deliver the paintings and frames conservation technician service. This primarily consists of delivering technical work, with reference to agreed standards where appropriate, and monitoring progress against agreed targets.
Technical work (85%)
Undertake the preparation of art works upon acquisition, or for the public, loans and collections care programmes, following standard methodologies as appropriate but also finding innovative solutions where necessary. This work includes:
• Refitting paintings in frames to NGS standard.
• Making and finishing new frames, including batches of standard frames and one-off customised frames.
• Packing and unpacking objects, creating new packing systems as necessary.
Organisation and management (5%)
Assist the Senior Conservation Technician with the organisation and management of the paintings and frames conservation technician work, including:
• Liaising with the Paintings Conservators to plan work and to organise the movement of objects in and out of the department.
• Ensuring that objects in the paintings and frames conservation technician studio are safe and secure, and that the studio is tidy and well organised.
• Ensuring that any professional freelance paintings and frames conservation technicians have the resources they need for their work.
• Liaising with the Paintings Conservators and the Digitisation team to organise and facilitate the photography of objects.
• Monitoring the progress of the paintings and frames conservation technician work so that any potential failure to meet deadlines can be identified and addressed, and so that collections care work can be programmed in when capacity permits.
Application Deadline: Wednesday 07/07/2021