Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £21,389 - £23,599 pro-rata, per annum
Location: Robert Burns Birthplace Museum
Purpose of the role
To assist in the day-to-day management of the Food & Beverage offer at Robert Burns Birthplace Museum, to ensure that all targets are met, and all visitors receive the highest level of visitor experience standards.
• Assist with the development of the Menu Cycle/Specification
• Contribute to food production as per the Menu Cycle/Specification and event Food Production (corporate, hospitality, meetings etc.)
• Keeping up to date HACCP, COSHH checklists and temperature sheets as well as allergen measures/controls
• Ensure high Standards of Kitchen hygiene, cleanliness, tidiness, and related schedules
• Use fresh produce and ingredients whenever and wherever is possible and minimise wastage.
• Maintain a high standard of food presentation to the customer
• Share in the common responsibility of implementing the Trust’s “Health & Safety Policy”, being mindful at all times of the health and safety of self, staff, volunteers, and visitors.
• Share in the common responsibility of working in a manner mindful of the Trust’s obligations to minimise impact on the environment, through e.g., efficient use of water/heat/light, recycling and the disposal of waste, considered use of transport
• Help to reduce occurrences where Health or Safety of yourself and other employees may be put in jeopardy
• Adherence to the COSHH Training provided and control of substances covered by COSHH
• Involvement in the upkeep and maintenance of both the entire department site and, specifically, the Catering Outlets
• Involvement in assessing and preserving the safety of utensils and equipment used within the Catering Outlets.
Dimensions and Scope of Job
• The role is based in the main museum building and at Robert Burns Birthplace cottage.
• The role works with several departments: retail, catering, and admissions, assisting with special events and functions when required.
• There may be times when you are required to work at other NTS properties such as but not exclusively Souter Johnnies Cottage and the Bachelor’s Club
• The role requires the post holder to work flexible working patterns and hours including evenings, weekends, and public holidays.
• The Post Holder does not have direct line management responsibilities but would be expected to deputise in the absence of the Head Cook and direct kitchen and front of house staff.
• Will work closely with other property colleagues and will have regular interaction with other technical/specialist advisory colleagues based in other locations and departments
• Will have regular (daily) interaction with suppliers and members of the public of all ages and abilities
• Is not a budget holder
• Responsibility for day-to-day management of stock
Tools/ equipment/ systems
• Will use catering equipment including cooking equipment. coffee machines and dishwashers.
• Will use a wide range of ICT equipment including land-line phone, two-way radio, email, scanner, laptop/PC, printer etc.
Skills, experience & knowledge
The above outlines the key skills and behaviours the job holder will need to possess and exercise. In addition, either knowledge of or experience in the following is required:
• Demonstrable experience as a cook in preparing and producing food to a consistently high standard using fresh products and ingredients
• Demonstrable baking experience
• Intermediate Food Hygiene Certificate
• Preferably a recognised formal qualification in culinary arts
• Highly developed organisational skills, deployable in a multi-tasking environment.
• Good communication skills (written and oral), including influencing/persuasion.
• Ability to work as part of a team and the ability to foster and motivate a team.
• Preferably a recognised formal qualification in culinary arts (e.g., HNC Professional Cookery, NC Bakery)
• First Aid at Work certificate
The current duties of this job do not require criminal records (Disclosure Scotland) check to be carried out.
Key Performance indicators and targets
Catering targets are met or exceeded, and margins achieved
Systems of recording are all up to date: including allergens, COSSH, cleaning records, stock take and wastage
Visitor Feedback survey scores
VisitScotland 5 -star grading maintained.
Application Deadline: Friday 07/10/2022