Organisation: National Galleries of Scotland
Salary: £24,171 - £25,225
Full-time, Fixed Term (12 months)
Salary £24,171 – £25,225 per annum (Band 7)
Plus generous benefits package
Hybrid / flexible working
About the role
We have a unique opportunity for a highly organised and motivated individual to join our Collection and Research department.
If you have a strong interest in surrealism or international modern art, with excellent communication skills and great attention to detail, then we would love to hear from you.
You will be working with the team to deliver a touring exhibition of Surrealism drawn from the National Galleries of Scotland collection to China in February 2024, and potentially to other venues in China and the Asia Pacific region thereafter.
There will also be an opportunity to contribute to the wider working of the Modern & Contemporary team within the Collection and Research department. You will assist with the research and delivery of the programme of modern and contemporary exhibitions and collection displays including Artist Rooms, collections research, loans, acquisitions, digitisation, and interpretation.
The difference you’ll make
In all that you do, you’ll support the Project Team to deliver the touring display of Surrealism to China. Reporting to the Director of Modern and Contemporary Art, your duties will include:
– Assisting curatorial colleagues with the organisation, administration, and delivery of the programme of modern and contemporary exhibition and collection displays.
– Undertaking directed research into the collection, potential acquisitions, due diligence, and other relevant requests.
– Collecting and collating relevant information for project reports, evaluations, KPIs and assisting in tracking budgets.
– Assisting in preparing leaflets, wall texts and labels, and other public information for print and website.
– Scheduling and attending meetings along with minute taking.
– Liaising with touring and external partners.
– Filing, and archiving project information.
– Creating and updating acquisition and loan records.
– Answering enquiries from the public, including preparing for and assisting with onsite research visits.
Who we are looking for
In answering our quick questions tell us more about you, how you meet the requirements, and what you will bring to the role. This will be your opportunity to stand out as well as tell us what you are looking for from us. To succeed in this role, you’ll need the following range of knowledge, skills, and experience:
– A strong interest in and knowledge of Surrealism or international modern art.
– Excellent organisational and administrative skills, including the ability to prioritise work effectively and make accurate decisions under pressure to tight deadlines.
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
– Meticulous attention to detail and high level of accuracy.
– Ability to take the initiative.
– Excellent IT Skills – proficient in MS Office.
– Ability to work as part of a team and develop and maintain effective working relations with a broad range of people, internally and externally.
It would also be nice if you have:
– A degree or equivalent in an aspect of modern or contemporary art.
– An interest in and knowledge of Scottish modern and contemporary art.
– Previous experience of working in a gallery or museum environment.
– A working knowledge of Mimsy or other museum systems.
– A working knowledge of Chinese, spoken and written.
For more information, please see the attached document or visit our careers page.
The closing date for completed applications is 12 noon on Monday 19 June 2023.
Application Deadline: Monday 19/06/2023