Curatorial Assistants x 2
Organisation: National Galleries of Scotland
Salary: Salary £23,771 - £24,825 per annum pay award pending
1 x Photography and 1 x Portraiture
Full-time, Fixed Term (6 months)
Salary £23,771 – £24,825 per annum (Band 7)
Pay award pending plus generous benefits package
Hybrid / flexible working
We have an exciting opportunity within our Collection & Research department for two highly organised and motivated individuals to assist our curatorial colleagues with the delivery of exhibitions and displays and collection-related activity.
If you have the ability to follow clear instructions, great attention to detail, proven experience of meeting strict deadlines and a strong interest in Photography or Portraiture we would love to hear from you.
As the Curatorial Assistant you will have excellent organisational and administrative skills, including the ability to prioritise work. A working knowledge of Mimsy or other museum collection management systems would be desirable.
This is a fixed term contract for 6 months only, to support backfill for colleagues on secondment.
THE DIFFERENCE YOU’LL MAKE
In all that you do, you’ll support our passionate and dedicated curatorial team. Reporting to the Interim Co-Directors of Collection & Research your duties will include:
• Supporting colleagues with the research and organisation of exhibitions and collection displays for 2024 and beyond.
• Actively involved in preparing and sharing information (reports, checklists) for colleagues and the people we engage with outside NGS (funders, lenders, donors, etc.).
• Supporting ongoing interpretation of the collection resulting in our physical and digital content being more accessible and inclusive for our audiences.
• Answering enquiries from the public, including preparing for and assisting with onsite research visits.
• Working with colleagues in Collections Management to investigate and review the information we hold about the collection, ensuring appropriate record keeping.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
In answering our quick questions, you can tell us more about you, how you meet the requirements, and what you will bring to the role. This will be your opportunity to stand out as well as tell us what you are looking for from us. To succeed in this role, you’ll need the following range of knowledge, skills, and experience:
• A strong interest and/or knowledge of Photography and/or Portraiture.
• Excellent organisational and administrative skills and ability to prioritise work effectively.
• Excellent and effective written and verbal communication skills.
• Attention to detail and high degree of care and accuracy.
• Personal accountability and ownership of workload ensuring completion of tasks assigned to meet deadlines and specific instructions.
• Competency and confidence in working with digital systems.
• Ability to work as part of a team and develop and maintain effective working relations with a broad range of people internally and externally.
It would also be nice if you have:
• Experience of working in a gallery or museum environment.
• Evidence of working with heritage collections.
• Ability to take the initiative.
Application Deadline: Thursday 27/04/2023