Digital Executive and Content Creator
Organisation: Scottish Canals
Salary: From £26,700
Location: Glasgow or Falkirk
Scottish Canals are the custodians of the nation’s canal network and surrounding estates. Our vision is to care for and invest in the canal network to generate lasting benefit for people and communities; celebrating their industrial heritage, ensuring they offer quality green and blue spaces for people and communities and contribute to Scotland’s resilience in tackling climate change.
Our success is rooted in valuing the contributions of our entire team – we care, we create, and we collaborate to continue to deliver a whole range of activities from boating, paddling, walking and wheeling to living and playing and improving what the canals have to offer to our visitors and communities. We also work with partners and stakeholders to contribute to a wealthier, fairer, greener and more resilient Scotland.
As an employer we offer a truly unique opportunity to be part of our team, help us realise our vision and contribute to looking after our heritage and ensuring our canals flourish now and in the future.
We currently have an exciting opening for a Digital Executive and Content Creator to join our Marketing and Communications team and assist us in developing ‘the voice of Scottish Canals’. This is a Scotland-wide role responsible for generating effective, engaging content that resonates with different audiences, effectively communicates corporate objectives and achieves desired results. The post will report into the Corporate Communications Manager but work across the communications and marketing functions within the Marketing and Communications Department.
• Excellent content planning, development, delivery & evaluation skills
• Ability to create engaging campaigns for digital media – both organic and paid-for
• Experience of filming, editing & uploading video content
• Experience of capturing still images for use across multiple platforms
• Proactive in identifying opportunities for new content that adds value and delivers
greater results for Scottish Canals or mitigates risk
• Respond to social media engagement from customers, partners and the public –
both during and out with office hours.
• Identify and implement social media, marketing, content creation trends that
elevate Scottish Canals’ brand
• Evaluate campaigns/output via Google Analytics, media monitoring tools and social
• Co-ordinate training, content planning, creation and delivery across internal
stakeholders, specifically Scottish Canals’ staff designated as Destination Promoters
& Communications Champions
• Produce effective, well-crafted, grammatically correct copy that is appropriate for
different purposes, platforms and audiences
• Tailor written style for different purposes, e.g. leaflets, web pages, social
campaigns, letters, press releases, posters and a range of other applications that
enhances/protects the reputation of Scottish Canals
• Manage time to deliver quality output as part of wider campaigns or tasks that
involve multiple team members/departments
• Project manage and plan activity effectively over varying timescales in order to
deliver maximum output
• Source relevant information from desk-based research, people interviews and
elsewhere to achieve desired results
• Juggle competing demands in order to meet deadlines, maximise opportunities
and achieve desired results
• Support the delivery of effective internal communications
• Support the delivery of Scottish Canals events
• Co-ordinate video and photography contractors to support the development of new
content within set budget
Skills and experience required:
• Competent with Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Premier Pro (or similar)
• Proficiency with Office 365 suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
• Proficiency with graphic design tools such as Canva
• Proficiency with video filming/editing, producing presentations/reports
• Be proficient in using web-based platforms, such as WordPress
• Experience of using/managing social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter,
• Experience of digital analytics tools
Personal qualities & abilities required:
• Excellent written and verbal communicator
• Ability to manage tasks, multi-task & meet deadlines
• Valid driving licence & car
• Scotland-wide role so willing to travel to remote locations
• Occasional evening & weekend work required
• The post will require occasional stand-by
This role is a permanent post based in Glasgow or Falkirk (hybrid) with a blended working model to ensure a flexible work/life balance and includes travel across the canal network.
Scottish Canals offers flexible working, a generous annual leave entitlement of 38 days per (inc. public holidays), enhanced company sick pay and contributory pension scheme with an up to 10% matched employer contribution.
This role attracts an incremental salary starting at £26,700 per annum.