Director of Retail
Organisation: Eden Scott
Salary: Circa £50,000
Eden Scott is delighted to be working with the National Museum of Scotland Enterprises Limited in Edinburgh (NMSE).
NMSE is a wholly owned subsidiary of National Museums Scotland and provides support by gifting its potential profit to National Museums Scotland at the end of each financial year.
The company has departments in Publishing, Retail, and Hospitality & Events and an exciting opportunity has arisen to join the team in the role of Director of Retail.
This role will manage the Retail Division of NMSE, maximising sales and profit whilst observing the Vision and Values of the National Museums of Scotland ensuring high levels of customer care and visitor satisfaction.
This is a great time to develop retail for NMSE by identifying new opportunities and develop and plan the product range for the future.
Each of the Museums has a shop reflecting its collections and including specially commissioned replicas of items on display. They stock a selection of gifts from pocket money toys to hand-crafted scarves, glassware, designer jewellery and a range of books for both adults and children.
There are three shops in the National Museums of Scotland, stocking an extensive selection of imaginative gifts, souvenirs, toys and books. Other shops are to be found at the National Museum of Flight in East Lothian, the National War Museum at Edinburgh Castle and the National Museum of Rural Life in East Kilbride plus online shopping.
Key responsibilities of the role:
• To develop and implement a realistic and ambitious on-going retail strategy
• To set and achieve budgeted sales, profit figures and KPI targets
• To provide accurate reporting of business performance to the NMSE company board and attend regular board meetings.
• To manage and support the buying team, ensuring that a high-quality range of merchandise, relevant to each site within NMS is planned, sourced and stocked at appropriate levels to meet sales forecasts.
• To manage and support the Retail Manager, ensuring that high levels of customer service, visual merchandising and shop floor standards are maintained at all times.
• To ensure that systems and controls are in place in order to maintain accurate sales and stock records, including overseeing annual stocktaking and audits.
• To maintain excellent working relationships with colleagues within NMSE and NMS, ensuring that retail activities are aligned with strategic objectives of the entire organization.
• To manage and support the NMSE Product Development team in producing and maintaining stock of commercially successful ranges, drawing on NMS collections, image assets and public programmes. To support the continued expansion of the NMSE Product Development wholesale business, ensuring that high standards of service are maintained.
• To oversee the NMSE online shop, ensuring that content is developed, managed and marketed, and that service levels are maintained to meet customer expectations and industry standards.
• To manage GDPR compliance and other areas of governance across NMSE and be responsible for implementing the latest changes in guidance.
• To ensure EPOS system are utilized to their full potential, updating software / hardware as required, and compatibility with other IT based systems, in particular finance and ecommerce CMS (Shopify).
• Budget, instigate and manage Capital investment projects relating to Job refurbishments and expansions such as IT software, hardware purchases and new shop development.
Key skills and experience required:
We are seeking a retail professional with strong proven leadership and people management skills from a heritage, hospitality, tourism or high street retail background or similar. Applying candidates need to have:
• Broad experience in a retail environment, specifically in operations and merchandise planning / selection
• Experience of compiling and effectively managing significant budgets
• Significant experience with electronic point of sale systems (EPOS) and the features and benefits required of an effective system.
• Knowledge of best practice standards used in the retail industry.
This role offers an excellent competitive salary circa £50,000 and significant company benefits including 36.5 days annual leave, generous workplace pension scheme with a 12.5% employer contribution, eligibility to annual bonus scheme at 10% of salary and private medical scheme
Eden Scott is dealing exclusively with the NMSE on this vacancy so to be considered for this exciting opportunity with a truly unique and best in class employer, please submit your CV online to Eden Scott or for an informal chat or to receive the full role information pack and job description please email or call Sally on 07776 662506.
Application Deadline: Friday 25/03/2022