Director of Visitor Experience and Events
Organisation: Dynamic Earth
Salary: £60,000 - £65,000 pa
Purpose of role
To ensure the science centre provides a compelling visitor experience and event venue that drives science engagement and income. The role reports to the CEO.
• Strategic leadership – You will form a key part of the senior leadership team, working closely with the Board on strategy and delivery for all charity matters.
• People management – You will model effective leadership across the charity as well as directly managing the extensive Visitor Experience & Events Directorate.
• Lead on visitor experience at the centre – You will ensure there is a clear strategy and delivery plan for maximising visitor numbers, experience and income.
• Maximise secondary spend – You will ensure we have clear strategies in place for driving retail, café, car parking and other commercial income opportunities.
• Events strategy and delivery – You will lead on developing a strategy and delivery plan for conferences, weddings and other commercial public engagement at the centre.
• Health & safety – You will ensure we have an effective and compliant approach to all aspects of providing a safe experience for everyone we engage with.
• Other Responsibilities — You will provide effective leadership for new opportunities and issues, including how we maximise an active partnership with Holyrood Park.
• Leadership experience – You will know how to form part of a shared leadership team, as well as provide effective functional leadership to a directorate team.
• Visitor attractions – You will have operated one or more public-facing engagement propositions and understand every aspect of operational delivery.
• Commercial acumen – You will have extensive experience at developing business plans and monitoring in-year performance against plan.
• Events marketplace – You will know how to attract, excite and delight commercial and consumer audiences with compelling proposals, propositions and delivery.
• Health & Safety legislation – You will be familiar with the legal responsibilities that a public event space needs to comply with at all times.
• A professional or personal interest in earth science
• An empathy for what Dynamic Earth exists to deliver
• Knowledge of the Scottish visitor attraction marketplace
• Experience in the voluntary sector and/or experience of delivering outcomes with a clear sense of social purpose.
• Project management experience specific to capital redevelopment.
Package and benefits
• Salary £60,000-£65,000 depending on experience
• 34 days annual leave (which includes 9 bank holidays)
• Complimentary entry to Dynamic Earth for family and friends
• Free staff car-parking
• 25% Discount in the Gift Shop
• Subsidised meals from the Cafe
• Free entry to ASVA member Visitor attractions (subject to conditions)
• Limited Gym Membership at a local hotel (subject to conditions)
• Staff Canteen (complimentary tea, coffee)
• Staff Excellence Award – High street vouchers
• Matched company pension contribution of 7%
• Confidential advice-line through our Employee Assistance Programme
• Life Assurance cover of 4 times annual salary
• Up to 3 years Critical Illness cover
As an organisation, we are committed to creating a culture that respects and values equity, diversity and inclusion. We expect all team members to support and enact these values in their day-to-day practice and are committed to creating working environment where everyone can be themselves every day. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds as part of this recruitment process.
To apply, please send a covering Letter (maximum 2 pages) and up-to-date CV outlining why you feel you are the best person for this position to Sally Rae at Eden Scott via Sally.Rae@edenscott.com