Organisation: Visitor Centres Ltd
Salary: £11.75 per hour
Location: Camera Obscura & World of Illusions, Edinburgh
Do you enjoy the satisfaction of cleaning, seeing something go from dirty to sparkling? Do you have a keen eye for detail? Would you love to work in the wonderful world of illusions? Then we are looking for you!
Camera Obscura & World of Illusions is a world-class visitor experience, in the heart of Edinburgh. No two days are the same and we can have hundreds of people through the door each day. It is our responsibility in the clean team to keep them safe and keeping the building sparkling and clean.
Your role as night shift cleaner is essential to the daily running of the building.
In this role, you will be responsible for :
– Performing a full clean of the toilets at the end of the night in preparation for the next day
– Vacuum all the floors and all stairwells
– Extra deep cleaning of the floors as scheduled which could include power washing, carpet cleaning and occasional working at height
– Emptying bins/picking up rubbish
The cleaning department at Camera Obscura and World of Illusions is made up of twelve people. We have two supervisors, five day shift cleaners and five night shift cleaners. Day shift cleaners are responsible for keeping the building clean and running during the day. Night shift cleaners are responsible for the turnaround of the building in preparation for the next day.
We’re looking for an enthusiastic and dedicated team member to come work with us at our award-winning visitor attraction. We are looking for someone who is a great team player. We want someone pro-active with a keen eye for detail and initiative.
It is a temporary position with the potential to be made permanent at the end. Contract from May until the start of September. We are looking for holiday cover and weekend availability is essential.
You must be able to climb 98 stairs multiple times throughout the day, be trustworthy, reliable and able to appreciate the importance of maintaining public areas to a high standard of cleanliness.
Camera Obscura & World of Illusions is Edinburgh’s oldest purpose-built visitor attraction, situated at the top of the Royal Mile. The attraction is a 5-star VisitScotland-rated visitor experience consisting of a historic Victorian Camera Obscura, 5 floors of interactive exhibits, rooftop terrace, reception area and Gift Shop. The attraction is a ‘must-visit’ for families and adults from all over the world and due to its popularity has the longest opening hours of any attraction in Edinburgh.
Part of Visitor Centres Ltd, the company also manages Landmark Forest Adventure Park in Carrbridge, Inveraray Jail and Landmark Press.
You can find out more about us at www.camera-obscura.co.uk
• £11.75 per hour
• Pension: 2% contribution for first 6 months of employment, rising to 10% thereafter
• Holidays: 29 days annual holiday pro rata
• Discretionary annual company bonus
• Camera Obscura & World of Illusions is a Living Wage employer and offers all staff contribution towards uniform, breakfast while on shift, refreshments throughout the day and seasonal team meals. Staff get a generous discount in the Gift Shop and free entry for friends and family to visit the attraction, as well as free entry to sister attractions Landmark Forest Adventure Park and Inveraray Jail. Access to ASVA passes for discounted entry to Scotland’s other top attractions.
• Flexible working options and a variety of shift patterns are available.
• Staff are given full training and offered personal development and training opportunities. Staff are also offered access to our employee assistance programme, providing access to information, advice, and answers to a range of workplace and personal issues.
How To Apply
We look forward to hearing from you. Please make sure to introduce yourself and share with us your relevant skills and experience, as well as why you would like to work at Camera Obscura. Include your earliest start date and working availability.
Please attach a CV and send the application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Any further questions we would be happy to discuss. Please get in touch at email@example.com or call 0131 226 3709.
Application Deadline: Wednesday 12/04/2023