Organisation: Winton Castle
Salary: £24 to £26,000 depending on experience
Location: Winton Castle, Pencaitland EH34 5AT
We’re looking for an Events Assistant to join our friendly and professional events team to help plan and host an ever-expanding range of events and activities. Ideally with a background or qualification in hospitality, you’ll bring creativity, organisation and fun to the role. You’ll help with food & beverage service at events and behind the scenes you’ll assist with the administration of booking, planning and hosting the wide variety of events we offer.
Winton Castle and Estate lies in the heart of East Lothian’s countryside, 14 miles south east of Edinburgh and is home to Sir Francis Ogilvy and his family. In addition to being a family home, the Castle is open for corporate hospitality, a venue for dinners, weddings, activity days and meetings. Within the Estate there are several large self-catering properties, which also act as separate venues, popular with Stag and Hen Parties, as well as family holiday groups and Wedding guests. The estate also houses the walled garden and Potting Shed, used as a hub to host smaller events and activities.
The Role of Events Assistant
Our current events management team are highly experienced, proactive, fun and supportive and to allow for continued business growth, additional operational and administrative support is required, with a forward-looking approach to improving our current systems. You will assist at events with the Food & Beverage service team and behind the scenes, out with event times, you will assist with the organisation and creation of the wide variety of events on offer at Winton. We provide the highest standard of service and want our guests’ expectations to be exceeded – you will be a vital part of the team ensuring that this is consistently achieved.
This position is one of trust and responsibility. You will have excellent communication skills and a sound understanding of events and clients. Behind the scenes you will have excellent organisational skills with the ability to work unsupervised, taking the initiative to get things done and solve problems, often on the fly. You should have a thirst to improve efficiency and make a growing business work smarter rather than harder, particularly in the use of technology to help workflows and communication.
• Strong verbal communication skills and the ability to relate comfortably with guests, clients of all types, colleagues and suppliers
• Food and beverage service experience
• Ability to manage staff in relation to food and beverage standards and procedures
• Administration experience
• Excellent attention to detail and ‘completer-finisher’
• Comfortable utilising software and exploring ways to get computers to automate tasks
• Good written communication skills
• Excellent telephone and ‘selling’ manner
• Sense of fun at the right times
• Flexibility to changes imposed by clients or colleagues and demands of events
• Ability to adapt, enjoy and be active in the surroundings of a busy events environment
• You will be self-motivated, with drive for personal learning and development
• Previous experience working in a similar luxury exclusive use venue or within a hospitality, catering setting is desirable but not essential.
• A qualification in hospitality and tourism, or other relevant qualifications would be an advantage
• An interest in the use of data to improve systems and efficiency
• Experience with Social Media; widening audiences and using it to best represent a business
• Knowledge of basic Health & Safety and Fire Safety requirements
• Assisting with planning for events, creating comprehensive operational check lists
• Setting up for events and aiding with the clear down
• Communication with in-house teams on event requirements and changes
• Helping to implement new systems for efficient communication and working practices
• After training; managing and running the waiting team at larger events
• Hosting smaller events, in time
• Handling initial enquiries by telephone, email or direct contact
• Promote the facilities to prospective external clients by demonstrating an in-depth knowledge of the products and services on offer
• Follow up on enquiries in a timely manner to maintain conversion levels
• Playing your part in the care of the Castle contents in addition to the security of the property during and post event
• Assistance with database management
Terms and Conditions
Hours of Work
This is a full-time, 40 hour per week role. Generally working 5 days out of 7. With the nature of the business, this will often include long shifts and weekend work which will be rota’d in advance.
Pay – From £24,000 per annum depending on experience.
Transport – No transport is available so the ability to drive is essential. Winton Castle is in a rural location and the applicant must be able to arrange their own travel to and from the Castle at all hours of the day and night.
How to apply – Please send your CV and cover note to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: Thursday 29/06/2023