Marine Engineer Team Leader
Organisation: Scottish Canals
Salary: £34,725 including allowances
Location: Falkirk Wheel, FK1 4RS
Scottish Canals is an innovative, forward-thinking organisation dedicated to safeguarding a crucial part of Scotland’s heritage whilst stimulating business growth, job creation and income generation by helping to create stronger communities, attract new customers and income and working with and through empowered and motivated people.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Marine Engineer Boats Team Leader to join our dynamic team. The Marine Engineer Team Leader will be responsible for maintaining the high standards established for fleet maintenance and inspection, following handover procedures and keeping the general safety, cleanliness, security and customer care standards at the base in good order. The role requires you to be available for “call outs to attend the hire fleet in the event of a breakdown.
We are offering circa £26,000 + 15.75% allowances (10% variable roster, 5.75% summer/ winter transfer) for this role.
Scottish Canals also offers a generous annual leave entitlement of 34 days rising to 39 after 5 years (inc. public holidays), along with enhanced company sick pay, discounted shopping vouchers, and a contributory pension scheme with up to a 10% employer contribution.
• Hire Fleet routine engine checking and maintenance
• Breakdown & call-out assistance to hire fleet
• Hire boat handover demonstrations and training
• Boat installation work
• Set to work of marine mechanic and handover operatives
• Repairs and maintenance to privately owned vessels while in the dry dock
• To ensure the consistent high level of customer service to all Holiday Boat customers.
• Support Front of House manager in all operating to budget
• Flexible working / weekend working. On call cover. Holiday cover
• Responsible for procurement of parts, consumables, and material
• Liaise with contractors and service engineers for best value
Knowledge, skills and experience:
• Qualified engineer/technician. HNC/HND/City & Guilds or equivalent qualification in Mechanical, electrical or marine engineering
• Diesel engine knowledge
• Diagnose faults and repair, working unsupervised, carry out repair efficiently & effectively.
• Hydraulic system knowledge
• Follow procedures and maintain systems
• Narrowboat or canal knowledge.
• Steering & propulsion systems
• Eberspacher hydronic heating system
• 12volt & 240volt system experience
• Welding experience
• Plumbing Knowledge and fault-finding skills
• Painting experience.
• Full UK driving licence
• Narrowboat handling skills
• Boat master/Helmsman license
Personal qualities and abilities required:
• Self-motivated, work on own initiative
• Team player, good communication skills
• Excellent customer care skills
• Work in a clean, tidy and organised manner
Application Deadline: Monday 15/08/2022