Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £36,523 - £40,238 pro-rata, per annum
Location: Hermiston Quay
This role will be responsible for the leadership and management of the income streams and associated tax within the Trust. This includes the following key areas:
• Revenue recognition and reconciliation,
• Accounting for Debtors and Stock,
• Intercompany accounting,
• Balance Sheet Management,
• Accruals, Advanced Income, Provisioning & Write Offs
• Taxation Accounting & Advisory Services,
The delivery of these will have to be planned and managed around a variety of deadlines which can be anything from daily/weekly to annual. Areas of priority will be: to lead the delivery activities for Debtors and Income required for the preparation of the month-end results and completion of the Trust’s annual report and accounts, and the external audit for the Trust; to lead on VAT review and compliance to ensure all areas of the Trusts income streams meet HMRC regulations whilst maintaining efficient associated VAT recovery. The role also involves ensuring that the Trust’s systems of financial and internal control relating to these areas, are operating effectively, and leading the development and implementation of best in practice processes / controls in these areas.
Reporting to the Financial Controller, the postholder is required to support them in delivering programmes of work that meet the Finance Team’s objectives ensuring complete accurate and compliant reporting to tight deadlines.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
• Lead and manage Finance Assistants, ensuring that they are supported, developed and performance managed in accordance with the HR policies of the Trust to ensure that the functions of the team are delivered efficiently and effectively and members of the team are able to continually improve and develop.
• Supporting development of appropriate policies and develop and maintain processes and procedures with regard to income recognition and associated balance sheet management to ensure compliance with FRS102 and OSCR SORP.
• Supporting development of appropriate policies and develop and maintain, processes and procedures to ensure the Trust’s financial operations are compliant with all relevant VAT & Tax legislation and regulations. Will require liaison with and management of external advisers to support compliance and submission activities. Focus will be on making these compliant, effective and efficient.
• Working with and influencing the other Finance Managers and Senior Managers in other teams to ensure that the necessary processes and controls are developed and implemented.
• Enhancing working relationships with other departments and explaining financial terms to non-accountants to ensure the sharing of knowledge.
In relation to the key areas of responsibility for specific role:
Revenue Recognition & Accounting
Ensuring the accurate and complete reporting of c. 50 commercial and non commercial income streams and associated debtors for month end reporting through:
a) Review & management of monthly processes to ensure accurate reporting of income including membership & donation collection, gift aid, lottery and commercial income.
b) Ensure timely and accurate collection of direct debits for memberships, donations and rents. This will involve working closely with Customer & Cause and Commercial Consultancy & Estates teams and also engagement with the IT Team.
c) Reconciling data to third party documentation – rents, holiday cottages, lottery, carparking, admissions, events etc.
d) Reconciling the financial system to the sales system across multiple payment methods.
e) Reconciliation of non-financial sales ledger information to external sales ledger (e.g. holiday cottage income and rents).
f) Calculation of accrued/deferred income at month end/year end. Ensuring long term contractual income correctly accounted for.
g) Adherence to regulated income guidelines (lottery and grant income).
Application Deadline: Friday 29/04/2022