Visitor Services Assistant
Organisation: Discovery Point
Our busy summer season is due to start and we are getting ready for opening up the new Dome Experience at Discovery Point. We are looking for additional staff to join our team in this new varied role, working in our café, shop or assisting with conferences and events at Discovery Point or Verdant Works. You should be able to provide high standards of customer service have some experience in a customer service role and or café/events service
Hours of Work
16 hours per week over Saturday to Friday including weekends. Occasional evening work may be required
The Visitor Services Assistant is responsible for ensuring high standards of customer service is delivered within the visitor centres, café, exhibitions and retail shop areas. They must demonstrate sound communication skills and have a passion for delivering stunning customer care.
Working as part of a team under the direction of the Visitor Services Manager.
The post will be based at Discovery Point but will require working at Verdant Works and other Dundee Heritage Trust properties as work demands.
Hours of Work
Minimum 16 hours per week over Saturday to Friday including weekends. Occasional evening work may be required
Duties & Responsibilities
• Deal with customers in a friendly and professional manner
• Operate the tills and accurately deal with cash and credit/debit cards transactions.
• Assist with a wide variety of enquiries by the visiting public
• Maintain a knowledge of frequently asked questions visitors may ask
• Be adaptable at communicating with a wide range of visitors
• Ensure appropriate uniform is worn when on duty
• Process various discounts and deals
• Upsell and promote deals and offers
• Collect Gift Aid from visitors
• Keep shop displays, general areas and museum areas clean and tidy at all times. This involves hoovering, mopping etc.
• Receive deliveries including checking stock, unpacking and re-stocking of shelves or storing goods.
• Support the smooth running of admissions and gift shop whilst maintaining company standards
• Work as part of a team to ensure safety of visitors
• Assist with café service, serving tea, coffee and taking lunch orders
• Support the smooth running of café and comply with Food Hygiene and Safety Standards
• Assist with light food preparation
• Keeping cafe displays, café tables, kitchen, clean and tidy at all times. This involves dishwashing, hoovering, mopping etc
Conference & Events
• Assist with the smooth running of the Conference & Events operations
• Using the event schedules, ensure conferences and events run to plan, with catering provided at agreed times.
• Ensure all working areas are kept clean and tidy, and ensure cleaning schedules are completed at the end of each event.
• Assist with guests’ requests and special requirements during the event.
• Set up and clear down of buffet, tables for meals, bars and coffee stations
• Prepare and serve buffets and coffee breaks
• Cash handling for bars
• Be aware of the work of other departments in the achievement of DIH/DHT aims.
• Take an active part in communicating and co-operating with other staff and departments.
• Follow all DHT/DIH guidelines, procedures and policies.
• Work in accordance with the companies Equal Opportunities and Diversity Policy.
• Be aware of and comply with, rules and legislation pertaining to Health & Safety at work.
• Take an active part in achieving high standards of customer and client care.
• Contribute to an enthusiastic, positive work climate within the organisation
• Good level of education
• Customer service experience/dealing with the general public
• Self-motivated and enthusiastic
• Food Handling/Bar Experience
• Cash Handling Skills
• Good communication skills, written and oral
• Confident at giving information and advice
• Friendly and polite
• Team player
• Flexible approach to work
• Food Hygiene Certificate
• Experience of working in a museum or public venue
• An interest in Dundee’s Industrial and Cultural Heritage
• Knowledge of a second language
Terms & Conditions:
Temporary Role – 6 months from start date
Rate of Pay: £9.90 per hour
Hours of work: 16 hours per week.
Holiday entitlement is 31 days, rising to 4 weeks and 2 days after 3 years’ service and rising to 5 weeks after 5 years’ service. Pro-rata for part time hours. This includes public holidays, 4 of which are fixed – Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year’s Day, and 2nd January.
The Government has introduced a new law which requires employers to enrol their workers into a workplace pension scheme automatically if they meet the following conditions.
• Are not already in one;
• Earn over £10,000 a year/£833 per month/£192 per week
• Are aged 22 or over; and
• Are under State Pension age
If you meet these requirements during your contract with you will be auto enrolled into our qualifying scheme – The National Employment Savings Trust (NEST) Pension Scheme.
• Discount on meals from Discovery & Verdant Works Café
• Discount on purchases from the Gift Shops at Discovery and Verdant Works
• Be part of an award-winning team!
Application Deadline: Wednesday 13/07/2022