Organisation: Dynamic Earth
Location: Holyrood Road, Edinburgh
Dynamic Earth is a unique and iconic visitor’s attraction; it is like nothing else on Earth. It’s a chance to experience the primeval forces of nature as they shaped our planet, to journey through space and time and even go on a 4D VENTURE around the world. You’ll be embarking on the interactive adventure of a lifetime – the lifetime of our planet. This means that you will be working in an exhilarating, interesting and engaging work environment.
Reporting to the Fundraising Manager and working closely with the Commercial Director, Scientific Director and the Head of Development. The Fundraising Officer role is focused on maintaining relationships with existing donors, especially Patrons and potential mid-level and regular donors, drafting Trust and Foundation applications for less than £10,000 and identifying and researching new donors.
• Lead on Patrons programme stewardship, communication, research and identification of new Patrons, working closely to team strategy and under the guidance of the Fundraising Manager
• Research into new prospect identification including Trusts and Foundations, Companies, Individuals and Governmental sources of support
• Assist in all aspects of delivering a high-quality annual events programme
• Assist in the delivery of quality marketing materials for fundraising prospects and donors
• Manage the fundraising database
• Manage the Patrons programme, including stewarding and retaining members, ensuring they feel welcomed and cared for by Dynamic Earth and assisting the overall team effort to recruit new Patrons
• Dealing with individual enquires from Patrons to provide a friendly and bespoke service
• Manage the communications programme for Patrons, making full use of digital communications to stay in touch
Fundraising Events & Communications
• Assist with the engagement and cultivation activities to involve stakeholders with Dynamic Earth by helping with bespoke fundraising events, ranging from entertaining potential supporters, tours of Dynamic Earth, thank-you events and utilising the contacts of Dynamic Earth’s own Corporate Events team
• Manage the invitation process including the invitation lists, ensuring details are recorded on the database
• Co-ordinate communications with donors through printed media, website and social media to ensure an effective stewardship of donors, helping to build a community of supporters
• Assist in the production process of all fundraising materials
• Assist with effective communications about fundraising on the Dynamic Earth website and digital communications, working closely with Marketing and the Learning teams within the organisation
Additional Fundraising Deliverables
• Identify and research all types of fundraising prospects, especially Trusts, Foundations and Companies / Corporates
• Support preparation of fundraising applications to Trust, Foundations and Statutory Bodies and Corporates for sponsorship, focusing on those bids under £10,000
• Maintain the stewardship programme, ensure all donors are cared for in a systematic and professional way
Fundraising Operations, including Database, Research, Finance and Reporting
• Maintain and expand the donor database, which will be a multi-functional database capable of managing a donor pipeline with details of potential supporters and plans to engage with them, plus financial records and details of interactions with Dynamic Earth through events and stewardship
• Ensure Dynamic Earth is compliant with data protection and fundraising regulations
• Maintain and expand a Donor Research function for identifying potential new major donors, research on trusts and foundations and links to possible corporate sponsors. This will include desk research and collating information from across Dynamic Earth
• Liaising with Finance to ensure effective banking and thanking of gifts and ensuring Gift Agreements are in place and Gift Aid returns to HMRC are done on a regular basis
• Assist in the monitoring of progress of projects with trust funding, making sure payments are received on time and reports submitted as required
• Assist with effective management of budgets that are delegated to the Fundraising Team
Skills and Experience
The successful candidate will need to be able to demonstrate the following skills, experience and attributes in both the written application and the interview process:
• Experience of working in charity, ideally with a membership or regular giving programme
• Experience of writing applications for Trusts and Foundations
• Demonstrable people skills, able to listen and understand the needs of donors and teams within the organisation, especially the Marketing team and the Learning team. To enjoy networking and meeting new people.
• Comprehensive and flexible communications skills – including the ability to write proposals, fundraising text and reports.
• Understanding and enthusiasm for working with digital communications and social media.
• Able to use a range of IT platforms; databases, spreadsheets, word processing, PowerPoint, Outlook.
• Practical experience and understanding of, and interest in systems, including database records and financial systems, with a commitment to accuracy and professionalism in these areas. Experience in using and overseeing databases, ideally in a fundraising or customer relations context.
• A good organiser, able to plan and co-ordinate and deal with the unexpected.
Benefits of the Fundraising Officer position:
• Salary c.£22k per annum
• Annual Leave 34 days including public holidays
• Company Contributory pension scheme of up to 5%
• Death in Service (4 times salary) and Critical Illness Cover
• Limited complimentary entry to Dynamic Earth for family and friends
• Free staff car-parking
• 25% Discount in the Natural Selection Gift Shop
• Subsidised meals from the Food Chain Café within Dynamic Earth
• Staff Canteen (complimentary tea, coffee, bread)
• Matched company pension contribution of 5%
• Free entry to ASVA member visitor attractions (subject to conditions)
• Limited Gym Membership at MacDonald Holyrood Hotel
• Confidential advice-line through our Employee Assistance programme
To apply: Please send your CV and a covering letter setting why you think you are the best person for this position to email@example.com
Application Deadline: Sunday 17/10/2021