Gallery Traffic Attendant
Organisation: National Galleries of Scotland
Permanent, Part-time (26.25 hours)
Salary £22,957 per annum pro rata (£11.89 per hour)
Plus, generous benefits package
About the role
We are looking for an experienced traffic / security professional to join our team working in an amazing location in the heart of Edinburgh amongst magnificent, listed buildings.
Working mainly on the Mound Precinct, you will be responsible for safely managing vehicle access and egress outdoors while providing security and helping visitors to the Galleries. The position can be physically demanding as you will be standing for most of your shift and a love of working outdoors is a must.
You will be an important point of contact for all visitors therefore excellent customer service and strong communication skills are required. The role also involves maintaining accurate records and interacting with contractors and tradespeople in accordance with daily schedules. Strong health and safety awareness is required.
The difference you’ll make
Reporting to the Gallery Supervisor your responsibilities will include:
– Providing a high standard of security and visitor care, maintaining a professional manner and being the public face of the National Galleries of Scotland whilst welcoming and assisting visitors.
– Exercising control over vehicles entering and leaving the Mound Precinct.
– Supervising of contractors and trades people.
– Staffing fixed duty or access points including searching incoming baggage or containers as necessary.
– Maintaining accurate records.
– Assisting the public in emergency situations and resolving customer concerns and complaints.
– Supervision of members of the public to ensure the safety of the collections and regulation of those failing to comply with the Gallery’s conditions of entry.
– Manual handling tasks as well as light cleaning and portering duties.
– Adherence to Health and Safety guidelines.
– Proactively keeping up to date with our exhibitions, events and displays and to engage with the public on these, whilst also remaining vigilant.
Who we are looking for
To succeed in this role, you’ll need the following range of knowledge, skills, and experience:
– Proven experience in traffic control management is essential.
– Previous experience of working within a Customer Services environment.
– Security experience and knowledge of Health & Safety guidelines.
– Strong communication skills and ability to relate to visitors in a friendly and professional manner.
– Ability to use initiative, work independently and have the resilience to positively respond to challenges.
– Enjoy working as part of a team and with the public.
– Flexible approach to the job and be able and willing to work weekends, evenings and any required overtime.
It would also be great if you have:
– Knowledge and appreciation of art.
– Knowledge of Gaelic and/or other languages is desirable but not essential.
– First Aid qualification or be willing to undertake training to obtain.
Please apply directly on the National Galleries of Scotland careers website.
The closing date for completed applications is 12 noon on Monday, 29 January 2024.
Application Deadline: Monday 29/01/2024