Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £21,389 - £23,599 pro-rata, per annum
To ensure that the garden and related policies of Brodick Castle Garden and Estate are managed and maintained as a nationally-recognized garden of outstanding historical and horticultural importance; contributing to the property’s overall conservation and development, and its enjoyment by visitors and supporters.
The role of ‘Gardener’ as a key member of the Brodick Castle team will be heavily involved in the development plans of the garden and wider designed landscape, with future projects aimed at creating gardens of international significance. Hence this post will be vital to realize this ambition of the gardens as a top visitor attraction. This post is likely to include frequent work in the woodland garden.
The garden comprises a listed walled garden containing an impressive collection of tender plants that may be grown due to the effect of the Gulf Stream. It also features a large woodland garden containing a world class collection of Rhododendrons and plants from temperate regions of the world.
The Key Purposes of the job will be met by:
1. Undertaking practical maintenance of the garden (e.g. managing trees and shrubs, herbaceous plants, and bulbs; turf care; pest/disease/weed control; staking, plant nutrition, composting and soil improvement to the required standards expected by the Trust and for the maximum safety of, and enjoyment by visitors including other professionals in the horticultural industry;
2. Fostering positive relationships with local communities and organisations and promote the work of the Trust.
3. On occasion, supervising and working with volunteers and/or staff members to ensure they deliver required outputs at the appropriate standard, and gain benefit/satisfaction from their activities;
4. Demonstrating self motivation, organizing, planning, and prioritizing and good time management;
5. Undertaking such other reasonable duties as may from time to time be required to ensure the smooth running of the property as required by the Head Gardener.
6. Ensuring compliance with the Trust’s health, safety, and environment policies and procedures.
The current duties of this job do require a criminal records (Disclosure Scotland) check to be carried out.
Application Deadline: Friday 29/07/2022