General Manager for Grampian Transport Museum
Organisation: Eden Scott
Eden Scott is delighted to be working in partnership with Grampian Transport Museum a fully accredited museum and visitor attraction located in a rural setting in Alford, Aberdeenshire – 25 miles West of Aberdeen, 15 miles from Banchory and 25 miles from Braemar.
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the team at the Museum in a newly created role of General Manager.
The museum is a private limited company with full charitable status. Their exhibits cover land travel and transport from the Roman invasion through to the present day and beyond and their focus is on the social impact and the stories behind them with the current focus on electric and autonomous vehicles. The museum strives to keep its display relevant and topical and refreshes a significant portion of the exhibition annually.
The museum is proud of the steps it has taken to achieve its aim of being carbon neutral and visitors can explore the museum by purchasing an entry ticket and also enjoy the self-operated Tearoom and Gift Shop. In addition, a number of events are planned on the 15-acre site during the summer.
This vacancy of General Manager is a visible and senior management role where the post holder will be focussed on ensuring the profitability of the Museum, delivering a great visitor experience and delivering on their sustainability agenda. The postholder will manage all staff both permanent and seasonal and the team of around 20 volunteers. They will work closely with the Board (reporting to the Chair of the Trust). The low turnover of staff is a good indicator of the friendly working atmosphere as is the excellent relationship between management and the board of Trustees.
This permanent and full-time post will have a range of varied responsibilities throughout the year as the Museum is open to visitors from Easter through to the end of October. Out of season new exhibits are set up and planning for the next opening season can take place.
· Ensure the Museums profitability and sustainability.
· Strategic planning to develop and deliver a culture of continuous improvement in the visitor experience.
· Effectively manage and develop staff and lead the team of volunteers.
· Drive compliance with HSE legislation.
· Develop and build the business through delivery of innovative solutions and marketing.
· Manage development projects and maintenance.
· Make informed recommendations on business delivery, projects, events, acquisitions, loans and disposals.
· Actively promote GTM within the community and local stakeholders, other museums and national organisations.
· Ensure compliance with the Museum Accreditation Scheme and with the Scottish Government’s Recognition guidelines.
· Identify opportunities to apply for grants which would enhance the Museum’s ability to operate or improve the customer experience.
Key skills and experience required:
Ideally, you will be a natural leader, confident, with excellent communication skills and have a CV that demonstrates the ability to lead, motivate and inspire the team to take pride in their roles, as well as developing multiple revenue streams to drive the business forward.
· Education to degree level or have relevant life experience.
· Proven experience in managing a business; track record of delivering growth.
· Experience of effectively leading and developing teams.
· Proven experience of delivering HS&E compliance.
· Proven experience of marketing including innovative use of social media.
· Interest in heritage.
· Experience working at an outward facing business.
· Well-developed IT skills.
· Experience of working with, and managing, volunteers.
· Experience of project management.
Salary £37,500 with company benefits.
Eden Scott is dealing exclusively with this client on this vacancy so to be considered for this exciting opportunity please submit your CV online or for an informal chat or to receive the full role information pack and job description please call Sally on 07776 662506.
Closing date for applications 12.00noon Friday 30th July 2021.
Application Deadline: Friday 30/07/2021