Head of Marketing & Communications
Organisation: Dynamic Earth
Purpose of the role
The purpose of the role is to drive the repositioning of Dynamic Earth as a Scotland-wide,
science engagement charity, leading on helping people understand climate change.
You’ll achieve this by building brand fame, compelling storytelling, and technical marketing
excellence. You’ll also know how to turn a good story into a great PR opportunity.
1. Manage brand and campaigns — Understand the brand, prepare the brief, oversee
production, handle media buying, for creative campaigns that help change attitudes
to Dynamic Earth and drive people to engage with us in line with our business plan.
2. Content and storytelling — Develop a programme of storytelling we can use through
our own channels, and through earned media opportunities like press work. We
want everyday moments of magic to be shared so that the outside world can see
how important our work is, how great our experience is, and how important it is to
support us with funding too.
3. Digital and social — Manage the evolution of our website, how we position and
maximise our impact through social, SEO, affiliate programmes, and digital screens at
the science centre. We are moving to a’ digital first’ approach and you will be the
person who ensures this is the case.
4. Develop relationship marketing — You’ll evolve CRM, supporter journeys, email
marketing and data-driven insights about audience. We need you to build a repeat
engagement model to maximise our charitable impact and income opportunities.
5. Manage communications — We want to get talked about in as many circles as
possible, including national and local press, influencer networks, on TV and radio,
through celebrity endorsements and so on. You will connect our stories with
organisations with influence and reach.
6. Key messaging and branded materials for all teams — You will ensure our teams have
the materials and approach needed to connect them to their audiences and drive
the delivery of their engagement and income plans (including the schools programme,
outreach, community, events and fundraising activities)
7. Business management — You will manage a team of three colleagues, an annual
budget, develop a multi-year marketing plan, and provide ongoing performance
reports. You’ll also play an active role in our Manager network, building new ideas and
better connectivity between teams.
1. Marketing and communications excellence — You will have a demonstrable trackrecord at delivering marketing and communications solutions, developing brands,
and using a multi-channel approach
2. Managing people, budget and planning — You will know how to develop a coherent
marketing plan that is aligned to organisational strategy and business plans, develop
budgets and give positive direction to colleagues to maximise team effectiveness
and individual performance
3. Experience of visitor attractions and the charity marketplace — Our public science
engagement centre is key to what we do. You will lead on visitor marketing,
relationship building and permission marketing. You’ll do this in a way that recognises
we are a charity, driven by Mission and Purpose. Having experience of bringing in the
public and shaping messaging to a mission-led organisation are essential.
1. An interest in science, the wonders of the world, and a personal belief that we should
do all we can to mitigate planetary crisis
2. An existing knowledge and empathy for what Dynamic Earth delivers
3. Ability to help support organisational transformation
4. Knowledge of the school marketplace
Package and benefits
• Salary: Competitive
• 34 days annual leave (which includes 9 bank holidays)
• Complimentary entry to Dynamic Earth for family and friends
• Free staff car-parking
• 25% Discount in the Dynamic Earth Gift Shop
• Subsidised meals from the Café
• Free entry to ASVA member Visitor attractions (subject to conditions)
• Limited Gym Membership at MacDonald Holyrood Hotel (subject to conditions)
• Staff Canteen (complimentary tea & coffee)
• Staff Excellence Award – High street vouchers
• Matched company pension contribution scheme of 5%
• Confidential advice-line through our Employee Assistance Programme
• Life Assurance cover of 4 times annual salary
• Up to 3 years Critical Illness cover
• As an organisation, Dynamic Earth is committed to creating a culture that
respects and values equity, diversity and inclusion. We welcome applications
from people of all backgrounds as part of this recruitment process.
• To apply, please send a covering letter (maximum 2 pages) and up-to-date CV.
To apply for this role please contact Sally Rae at Eden Scott, Sally.Rae@edenscott.com with
the deadline for applications: Wednesday 1st March 2023.
Application Deadline: Wednesday 01/03/2023