Health and Safety Adviser - Operations
Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £36,523 - £40,238 pro-rata, per annum
The post-holder will support the National H&S Manager (Operations) in offering a range of health, safety and environmental services (Health and Safety being the primary focus) to the Operations Directorate and is the first point of contact for property management within their allotted property portfolio.
It will be a fundamental function of the post that the post-holder will develop a close and effective working relationship with the management within their allotted properties, including General Managers, Business Managers and Operations Managers. This will enable, and require, the post-holder to respond quickly to requests for assistance as well as becoming a relied upon and readily available professional H&S practitioner to properties within their portfolio. They will become a key member of the planning/decision-making process.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
Monitor health and safety system
• To contribute effectively and provide essential input to the Trust’s H&S agenda through the ongoing support, development, and dissemination of relevant policy, guidance and information.
Health & safety performance
• To conduct H&S audits designed to test compliance as a minimum while striving to continuously improve performance by developing and monitoring agreed improvement plans with properties/functions.
• To produce high quality audits and summaries for management to report on property/function-level H&S performance.
Investigation of accidents and near misses
• To conduct in depth accident/incident investigations designed to explore their cause(s) with a view to identifying failings and preventing recurrence, so far as reasonably practicable.
• To prepare statistical analyses of accident/incidents to help identify trends and to propose actions to mitigate risk.
• To be the ‘first point’ of specialist contact for their portfolio with regard to H&S matters and to report matters of concern to the National HS&E Manager and relevant General Manager(s).
• To respond effectively and pragmatically to requests from properties for support and advice.
• To agree areas for improvement – derived either from audits, accident/incident investigations or changes in policy/procedures/legislation – with General Managers and property management and liaise with the rest of the H&S provision within Operations Directorate to ensure consistency and maximise the effective use of time.
Attendance at meetings
• To attend regional management and property-level meetings (when appropriate) to report on H&S performance, promote improvement initiatives and advise on the implications of NTS H&S policy and procedures.
Training and development
• To advise on H&S training and development requirements within the directorate and where necessary to liaise with colleagues in the H&S team and People – Training and Organisational Development to meet the demand in the most effective and cost-efficient way.
• To deliver training, as required, and within their level of competence.
• To evaluate training provided to ensure that it raises H&S performance, sustains H&S improvements through effective transfer of learning and is refreshed at suitable intervals.
Sensible management of risk
• To provide information (such as audit data and accident/near miss statistics) for meetings of the Operational Leadership Group, Regional Team meetings where appropriate and contribute as appropriate to the Operational Risk Register.
• To support the National H&S Manager in proposing measures to manage risk.
Application Deadline: Friday 22/07/2022