HES/23/328 - Dumfries and Galloway
Organisation: Historic Environment Scotland
Salary: £21,452 - £22,272 pro rata, per annum
Location: Threave Castle / MacLellan's Castle / Caerlaverock Castle / New Abbey Corn Mill
Your role of Steward at Historic Environment Scotland will be a part year permanent position, running from Easter until the end of September/October each year. The likely start date for this role is in March 2024.
Are you looking for a flexible seasonal job that is both fun and unique? You’ll get a unique view into Scotland’s rich history and gain valuable experience in the tourism industry and help bring Scotland’s dramatic history to life for our visitors from across the world. Explore the fascinating stories from Scotland’s past and share your passion with international and local visitors who come to Dumfries and Galloway during the season.
You will have the opportunity to work at sites such as:
Threave Castle – a forbidding island fortress accessible by boat, built by Archibald ‘the Grim’ in 1369
MacLellan’s Castle – Sir Thomas MacLellan’s former townhouse in the centre of Kirkcudbright
Caerlaverock Castle – a triangular castle enclosed by a moat, sieged by Edward I of England in 1300
New Abbey Cornmill – mill in the picturesque village of New Abbey, built at the end of the 1700s
Dumfries and Galloway is a stunning area of Scotland, with abbeys, castles, standing stones and iron age forts (to name just a few) throughout the landscape. Caerlaverock Castle, Sweetheart Abbey, Dundrennan Abbey and New Abbey Cornmill are just some of the 30 sites we look after in this area.
Benefits of working with HES
– A generous holiday allowance of 25 days holidays + 11.5 public holidays per year (pro-rata for employees)
– A Civil Service pension which means you will receive an employer contribution of 27% of your annual salary
– Free entry to Historic Environment Scotland sites (with up to three guests) and all English Heritage, Manx and Cadw properties
– Discounts on 100’s of online retailers
– Interest free loans for bicycles and annual travel passes
Application Deadline: Sunday 14/01/2024