Information Governance Manager
Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £43,911 - £48,620 pro-rata, per annum
Good information governance can help drive confidence, trust, and membership growth. As the management of our data becomes more complex, we seek an Information Governance Manager to develop best practice and a strategy for managing our information more effectively across the organisation. Providing expert advice and guidance on the management of information, defining training, and overseeing the retention, security, and accessibility of information held, the role will develop consistent policies, standards, and governance in the use of our systems, including Office 365. The role will work closely with the Data Protection Officer, IT team, People Organisational Development team, and colleagues across the organisation to develop user friendly guidance and structures and ensure that records of historical value are identified and transferred to Archives for permanent preservation.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
• Develop and implement an Information Governance Strategy for NTS, which will include strategies for consolidating our information assets into solutions that enable key information governance criteria to be applied (e.g., access control, version control, and retention policies), in support of improved information management and sharing across the Trust; and the development of Trust-wide policy and procedure on information governance.
• Ensure strategy is understood and policy and procedures followed by providing training, including where applicable, systems-based training; and support colleagues with expert advice and guidance in matters relating to information governance.
• Develop an Information Asset Register, providing a high-level map of NTS information holdings and identify responsibility for information assets through a network of Information Asset Owners (IAOs).
• Oversee the delivery of IAO training and support IAOs with expert advice and guidance.
• Design and mandate a structure for the consistent use of SharePoint sites by all properties, regions, and departments, providing a consistent location for all Trust documents and records.
• Establish key governance around the creation and use of MS Teams and SharePoint sites.
• In collaboration with the IT team and with support from the Organisational Development team, develop strategies for maximising the use of O365 functionality, replacing emailed forms with workflows and e-forms.
• In collaboration with Information Asset Owners, improve the use of metadata in systems, through the adoption of consistent metadata, data quality and document naming standards.
• Develop best practice email management rules and guidance, including a Trust-wide policy for the retention of emails.
• Oversee the management of the Trust’s corporate records store, for the storage of physical records.
• Review legacy systems alongside data champions and IAOs to identify information that can be migrated to systems for storage in line with our retention policies or securely destroyed.
• Working closely with the Archives team, ensure that records of historical interest are identified for permanent preservation.
• Record, monitor and report on risks associated with information governance and identify actions that can be taken to mitigate risk.
• Oversee the delivery of information governance projects as required.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE
Postgraduate information governance / records management qualification or demonstrable practical experience in an information governance / records management role.
Educated to degree level or equivalent.
Strong experience of leading an information governance / records management improvement programme.
Experience of managing data migration to an information management system (e.g., SharePoint).
Experience of establishing business classifications schemes or data structures to manage and store information.
Experience of applying records management principles and policies in practice, including the development of classification schemes or data structures, retention policies, access and security models naming conventions and version control.
Expert knowledge of information governance / records management standards and best practice.
Experience of handling complex information governance / records management queries.
Excellent planning, organisational and communication skills.
Excellent time management, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
Strong project management skills with experience of managing multiple tasks with changing priorities.
Experience of information governance / records management principles and applying them to the Microsoft O365 and SharePoint environment.
Skills and experience in change management.
Experience of influencing others through the provision of expert advice and analysis of data.
Ability to respond to complex and varied queries, working on own initiative and with minimal supervision.
Experience of an information governance / records management role within a charity environment.
Experience of developing and delivering information governance / records management training.
Experience of risk management frameworks.
Experience of people management.
DIMENSIONS AND SCOPE OF JOB
Trust-wide role, collaborating with and supporting colleagues across Scotland.
The role does not have any direct reports, but occasionally may be responsible for managing volunteers or work experience students working on information governance projects.
Example key performance indicators and targets
Annual objective setting.
Annual check and updating (if required) of policies, training, and guidance documents.
Place in organisational structure (extract of org chart showing role):
The Purpose, Context, Key Responsibilities, and Person Specification reflect the requirements of the job at the time of issue. The Trust reserves the right to amend these with appropriate consultation and/or request the post-holder to undertake any activities that it believes to be reasonable within the broad scope of the job or his/her general abilities.
Application Deadline: Friday 28/04/2023