LEARNING AND ENGAGEMENT OFFICER
Organisation: Dynamic Earth
Location: Holyrood Road, Edinburgh
RESPONSIBLE TO – Learning and Engagement Manager & Senior Learning and Engagement Officer
CONTRACT – Full-time, permanent (37.5 hrs/week – normally Monday-Friday 09:00-17:30 – but some flexible work requirements including evening and weekend working for out-of-hours events and outreach activities)
SALARY – c £22,500 p.a.
Dynamic Earth is Edinburgh’s science centre and the only centre of its kind in the UK dedicated to Earth and environmental sciences. We’re an educational charity, on a mission to empower people with understanding and empathy for the Earth; because we believe together we will be the generation that creates a positive future for us and our planet.
Our Learning and Engagement team are at the heart of delivering our charitable mission and deliver a packed programme of events and experiences with a broad spectrum of audiences each year. Our new ten-year organisational strategy places engaging with wide and diverse audiences and delivering outstanding quality science engagement at the very forefront of our department plan.
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join our team in the position of Learning and Engagement Officer. In this role, you will work alongside colleagues in the wider Learning and Engagement team to co-ordinate, develop and deliver a range of different learning experiences – including but not limited to indoor and outdoor workshops, drop-in activities and online experiences – for a range of audiences including school pupils, teachers, children and young people and families. This is a science communication role with a key focus on delivering a range of experiences with audiences, particularly with school pupils. We are particularly keen to hear from you if you have knowledge, skills and experience in the delivery of outdoor and or digital learning and engagement experiences.
To find out more about the work of Dynamic Earth and the Learning and Engagement team, please follow this link https://www.dynamicearth.co.uk/learning
This is a science communication role of both formal and informal learning and engagement programmes where you will play an active role in the delivery and further development of our school learning and engagement experiences and associated public engagement, family and outdoor learning activities.
DELIVERING AND DEVELOPING OUR SCHOOL LEARENING AND ENGAGEMENT PROGRAMME:
• Facilitating workshops, storytelling and other activities in line with the Curriculum for Excellence and Learning for Sustainability
• Developing the schools programme with a focus on Earth and environmental sciences.
• Delivering and developing workshops and experiences as in-reach, outreach and digitally
DELIVERING AND DEVELOPING OUR FAMILY AND PUBLIC PROGRAMME:
• Supporting the delivery of workshops, activities, shows to public, community and families with colleagues across the team
• Supporting the development of the public programme with a focus on Earth and environmental sciences with colleagues across the team
DELIVERING AND DEVELOPING OUR OUTDOOR LEARNING PROGRAMME:
• Working with schools, families, young people and community audiences to engage participants in Earth and environmental sciences within our local environment of Holyrood Park.
• Assisting in the delivery and development of outdoor learning activities, including our Summer Outdoor Club programme for children and young people.
THROUGHOUT THIS, YOU WILL:
• Work to ensure school and public engagement activities are delivered to a consistently high standard with scientific integrity as core.
• Work with schools and other stakeholders to ensure the full potential of the Learning and Engagement service is achieved.
• Liaise with professionals to ensure the learning and engagement programmes remain current, reflecting the latest research and topical science.
• Liaising with teachers and other educational representatives/organisations and soliciting feedback to ensure the schools programme and educational resources are focused, relevant, topical and appropriately targeted to the curriculum.
• Ensuring that all educational equipment and resources are properly maintained and that usage is properly recorded and managed.
• Contributing to the development of the Dino’s Kids’ club as required.
• Attending education exhibitions, conferences and presentations as required.
• Updating your own knowledge of the material interpreted within the centre and the curriculum, on an ongoing basis in order to deliver the highest quality learning programme.
• Ensuring that correct budgetary control, invoicing and follow up procedures are followed, in conjunction with other departments.
• Any other duties as required at the discretion of the Learning and Engagement Manager
KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Educated to degree level in a science or related discipline or lived experience as an alternative to a formal qualification (essential)
• Experience of developing and delivering learning experiences with audiences including school pupils, children and young people (essential)
• Knowledge of Scottish education priorities (essential)
• Excellent communication and organisation skills with strong attention to detail (essential)
• Time management skills – including the ability to prioritise your time to meet competing deadlines and priorities (essential)
• Some flexibility to work during school holidays and outside normal working hours (essential)
• Enthusiastic, approachable, pro-active and friendly attitude (essential)
• Ability to complete tasks with or without reasonable accommodations (essential)
• Experience in the development and delivery of outdoor learning and engagement experiences (desirable)
• Experience in the development and delivery of digital learning and engagement experiences (desirable)
• Experience of working in a science centre or museum setting (desirable)
• UK Driving License (desirable)
As an organisation, we are committed to creating a culture that respects and values equity, diversity and inclusion. We expect all team members to support and enact these values in their day-to-day practice and are committed to creating working environment where everyone can be themselves everyday. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds as part of this recruitment process.
To apply, please email a covering letter and CV (circa 2 pages each) to Conor Ellis – Learning and Engagement Manager – at firstname.lastname@example.org – the deadline for applications is 23:59 on Monday January 9th 2023
We expect initial interviews for this position to take place on Tuesday 17th January 2023 and will last no longer than one hour.
Dynamic Earth has policies and procedures in place to protect children, young people and vulnerable adults from harm. Appointments to the Learning and Engagement team are subject to successful enrolment in the Protecting Vulnerable Groups Scheme.
Application Deadline: Monday 09/01/2023