Glasgow Life is the charity providing the support, inspiration and opportunity for Glasgow’s citizens to access the services that matter most to them. Working across museums, the arts, music, sport, world-class events, festivals, libraries, community facilities, and physical activity, learning and heritage programmes; the scale and reach of our activity makes a real and positive impact on the lives of Glasgow’s residents and creates unforgettable experiences for our visitors.
We are recruiting for a Museum Manager, to join our 3,000 strong dedicated team of staff and volunteers
Glasgow Life Museums
Glasgow holds one of Europe’s finest civic collections. The museum service, managed by Glasgow Life, attracted more than 4 million visitors in 2019/20, across 7 museums, making it the UK’s most visited museums service outside London. The service enjoys an outstanding reputation for the quality of interpretation and audience engagement it delivers.
We are looking for an exceptional candidate to lead one of the world’s most prestigious museums.
You will be responsible for the quality of the visitor experience in and the local, national and international profile of the Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery. The role involves planning a changing programme of special exhibitions, events, activities and the on-going development of the displays and museum offer.
The role includes directly managing a front of house staff team and co-ordination with services provided by the curatorial team, a team of technicians and Museum Learning and Access team. You will also liaise via the Assistant Museums Manager with catering, cleaning and other contracted services. The role requires a deep understanding of the role Kelvingrove plays in the life of the city, as a tourist destination and a much loved Glasgow landmark that local people visit again and again, as well as its potential future contribution to the regeneration of communities. In this role you will be a member of the museums management team developing and delivering Glasgow’s museum service, responsible for customer service and programme delivery. This will include the management of an additional museum site.
• You will demonstrate a passion for the role museums can play in the life of the city, for locals, visitors and as a tourist destination.
• You will have an outstanding knowledge of the management of large visitor attractions as well as cultural and educational programming.
• You will be an exceptional communicator and team player, able to energise those around you and an experienced manager and mentor to those in your team.
• You will have first rate organisational skills as well as strong experience of managing a wide range of customer service operations, including health and safety.
• You will be committed to community engagement and audience development
• You will have a degree or equivalent experience in a relevant subject area, and a museum or management postgraduate qualification would be advantageous.
This is a key role that sits within the Museums and Collections team at Glasgow Life, making a significant difference to our ability to reach our audiences and to deliver on performance and financial targets.
If you think you fit this role, we would love to hear from you.
In return, we can offer a generous holiday allowance of 29 days (rising to 34 days after 5 years), plus 6.5 public holidays. You will also be eligible to join the Strathclyde pension fund, one of the largest local authority pension providers in the UK. Additional staff benefits include staff discounts, annual leave purchase scheme, flexible retirement and family friendly policies.
We value diversity and inclusion. We are particularly interested in receiving applications from people from the BAME community who are currently under-represented in our organisation.
This position requires a Basic Disclosure. Please note successful candidates for the above position will be required to pay for their Disclosure.
Application Deadline: Sunday 12/12/2021