Organisation: Floors Castle
Operations Assistant will be part of Floors Castle Enterprises and report to the Operations Manager
The estate has been part of the Scottish Borders since 1358. Everything we do, is to ensure that we continue into the next millennium. Through our longevity we have developed deep connections with the land and its people and we are guided by the principle that our operations benefit the health of the environment and the prosperity of local communities. We are not just enduring; we will constantly innovate and grow to maximise the potential of the region and land under our care so we will be a source of inspiration and a model estate for the 21st Century.
It takes a certain sort of person to flourish in such an exciting, multi-dimensional environment like Floors Castle. We look for talented, self-motivated and enthusiastic individuals who will be able to share our passion for providing a warm welcome and amazing experiences.
Custodians Community Authenticity Drive Warmth
“To understand, improve and develop our natural, heritage and built environments, allowing them to flourish as sustainable businesses capable of making significant contributions to a vibrant Borders community, now and for generations to come.”
Purpose of the role
• Assist the Operations Manager with day to day running of the seasonal visitor operation.
• Supervision of the Visitor Support team, across Admissions and the Castle.
• To maintain the excellent standards and reputation of Floors Castle and Gardens.
• To champion the Roxburghe Core Values on the front line of the visitor operation.
• Ensure that Floors Castle core experience operates successfully and efficiently.
• Day to day management of Admissions and Castle Opening.
• Ensure preparation is made for group visits, assigning appropriate guides and providing Visitor Welcome and orientation.
• To ensure consistent high standards of presentation and conduct in line with Roxburghe Core values.
• To produce monthly rotas, ensuring all areas are covered to match business commitments.
• To be the first point of contact for staff ‘housekeeping’, holiday requests, training needs and feedback.
• Responsibility for accident reporting, First Aid and ensuring that all First Aid kits are full and up to date.
• To be familiar with, and capable of providing, training in fire evacuation procedures, health and safety and risk assessments.
• To open and close the house to the public daily, in line with security protocols and best practice.
• Conduct daily walk around to ensure building is secure and safe, all lights are functioning as well as ensuring all interpretation is presented correctly and is damage free.
• To ensure admissions kiosks and Castle Admissions has the necessary stock of materials for successful operation.
• To be familiar with the Tevalis till system, and to be able to troubleshoot where necessary.
• To ensure that all income from admissions is processed correctly and delivered securely to the appropriate place at the end of the working day.
• To ensure all floats are correct and to rectify any problems with financial processes.
• To develop and maintain a good working relationship with the house team (Housekeeping/butler).
• To assist the Operations Manager across the business and be prepared to be flexible and provide support where needed.
• To be familiar, and to always seek to improve knowledge of, the collections and the history of the house and the family.
• To conduct guided tours where appropriate.
• Provide support for special events at the Castle.
• To help promote upselling and promotion of all products (including annual pass/seasonal grounds pass & guide book) events & activities.
• Be the ‘go to’ point of contact for visitor feedback.
• Assist visitors where necessary with access to the Castle and enquiries.
Hours of Work
A Seasonal post, 6.5 hours per day, five days from seven. Weekend and Bank Holiday commitment essential. Occasional evening work may be required.
Pay and Benefits
£10.25/hr, Use of Company laptop, workplace pension
Qualities you will possess
• Passion for what you do
• Positive and friendly with a “can do attitude”
• Attention to detail
• Ability to prioritise and organise
• Take responsibility for yourself
• Excellent Customer Service Skills
• Confident to make decisions and to stand by them
• IT competency
• Excellent communicator
• Excellent personnel management
• A sense of fun!
What do you need to be successful?
• Prior experience of working in a customer facing environment.
• Interest in History and Heritage.
• Prior experience of managing people.
• Demonstrable experience of the leisure and tourism sector desirable
• Flexible and prepared to be ‘hands on’ in all areas of the visitor operation
Application Deadline: Friday 28/05/2021