Organisation: Kilmartin Museum
Location: Kilmartin, Argyll PA31 8RQ
Kilmartin Museum is seeking to appoint an Operations Manager to manage all day-to-day aspects of running the Museum as a visitor attraction including facilities management and compliance.
This is a great opportunity to join Kilmartin Museum at an exciting time, as the Museum has recently undergone a £7.5m redevelopment. For further information and to view the full job description, please visit www.kilmartin.org/operations-manager.
To apply, please send a CV of no more than six pages and a covering letter of no more than one side of A4 detailing how your skills and experience are a good fit for this role. Please carefully consider the job description and the requirements of the role when applying. Please also supply two references, one of which must be your most recent employer.
Please save your document as a PDF and title it ‘Operations Manager Application’, followed by your full name. Documents should be emailed to Jenny Pendreigh at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This will be a rolling recruitment process, and will run until the right candidate is found, therefore we encourage you to apply as soon as possible so that your application can be considered.
The post holder will manage all day-to-day aspects of running Kilmartin Museum as a visitor attraction including facilities management and compliance in accordance with the Museum’s Mission Statement and Accreditation Standard. Line management responsibility for the Visitor Experience Manager and liaison with the café operator lie with the post holder, depending on skills and experience.
The post holder will work closely with the Director and Curator to ensure continued delivery of the Museum’s mission and vision following the completion of a major redevelopment project, ensuring the goals of the project are maintained longer term.
Operational Management of the Museum
The post holder will be responsible for managing and marketing all aspects of the operations of the Museum site including visitor reception, café, and shop:
• work with the Director & Curator and the Board of Directors to maintain the Museum’s mission and vision
• feed into the development, production, implementation, monitoring, reporting and evaluation of the Museum’s overall Strategic Forward Plan
• take overall responsibility for facilities management
• ensure the benefits and outcomes of the Redevelopment Project are delivered after opening and beyond the project end date according to funder and partner agreements
• work with the Director and Curator, Board and appropriate staff members to review, develop, produce, and update policies and procedures for Board approval and implementation
• manage the café operation
• responsible for all elements of HR (with support of a HR retained consultant)
• responsible for line management of the Visitor Experience Manager (dependent on experience)
• line management of administrative post
• responsible for managing all elements of the Museum’s owned and leased property portfolio including working with the board to develop a strategy for the Kilmartin parish church building
• further developing the Building Operational Plan
• working with staff to deliver the Management and Maintenance Plan
• reporting to line manager, Board and funders as necessary.
Continued Development of the Museum as a Visitor Attraction
The post holder will be responsible for the operational running of the visitor experience including:
• marketing, social media and audience development according to the current Audience Development and Marketing Plans
• working with external consultants Corner Shop Marketing to sustain marketing activity beyond 2023
• strategic responsibility for the on-site café – managing the Café Operator through a rental agreement or manager to deliver an income-generating/ rental paying café experience.
Dependent on experience, the post holder will be responsible for managing all aspects of running the new visitor experience:
• identify and implement opportunities to maximise use of the museum facilities to deliver additional income as per the Business Plan
• managing the Visitor Experience Team to ensure all aspects of the public and staff areas of the Museum site are maintained to an appropriate standard and issues are resolved promptly
• overall responsibility for building security, alarm management and administration
• oversight and management of the information technology network for the whole organisation
• manage Health and Safety of visitors and employees, including first aid.
Exhibitions, Collections, Education and Community
The post holder will work closely with the Director and Curator who leads the Curatorial and Education Service Team to ensure that the curatorial, research and education objectives of the Museum are achieved. The post holder will be expected to continue to create positive relationships within the local community.
Financial Management & Fundraising
Working closely with the Director and Curator, freelance Finance Manager and Assistant Finance Manager, the post holder will be expected to manage all costs including staffing costs within budget in their areas of responsibility.
• demonstrable experience in a similar role
• an understanding of the vision of Kilmartin Museum, the Redevelopment Project, and our aspirations for the future
• excellent interpersonal skills to foster relationships at all levels internally and externally
• line management experience including knowledge of HR processes and procedures
• proven effective manager, able to develop a team and support and motivate staff and volunteers
• excellent IT skills
• excellent organisational and time management skills, ability to prioritise workload to suit organisational need
• ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
• demonstrable experience of working to budgets
• ability to take responsibility and problem solve.
• passion for archaeology and Museums
• knowledge and experience of Human Resources, recruitment, contracts and procedures
• experience in catering
• proven experience of marketing skills
• track record of delivering evaluation
• social media skills in a work environment
• valid driving licence.
Application Deadline: Tuesday 30/01/2024