Operations Manager for Culzean Castle, National Trust for Scotland
Organisation: Eden Scott
Salary: £48,158 – £53,266 plus Car Allowance £3,800 pa and significant company benefits.
Eden Scott is delighted to be working with the National Trust for Scotland, a charity established in 1931, to provide access and enjoyment to the properties, places and collections in its care. They also exist to protect what they look after for future generations to enjoy; and increasingly they are keen to act as a strong conservation voice for heritage and climate change response across Scotland.
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the team at the Trust in the role of Operations Manager overseeing the significant and high profile NTS heritage property at Culzean Castle and Country Park, situated on the stunning Ayrshire coastline.
This vast and diverse 260-hectare estate has a magnificent cliff top Castle, 40 buildings including cafes, retail outlets, holiday cottages and a hotel and is a popular visitor attraction for day visitors and also for holding events.
This visible and senior management role will lead a significant team of up to 100 and deliver, develop and optimise property facilities and services to their members and visitors in line with the Trust’s core purpose, principles, priorities, rules, performance standards and in relation to:
• The Conservation of the property’s /content.
• Promotion of heritage related to the properties.
• Visitor enjoyment.
• Financial Sustainability.
• Staff and Volunteers.
Key responsibilities of the role:
• Property Planning – business and operational planning and the ongoing development of conservation management plans, with responsibility for annual business and operating plans.
• Visitor Services and Operational Standards – responsible for excellence and service quality across amenities and facilities, retailing, hospitality, food services and gardening, activities and interpretation and events.
• Enterprise and trading – business leader for the property, planning and delivering innovative product and sales opportunities.
• People Management – leads, coaches and mentors the property team.
• Promoting Heritage – leads property staff to develop and promote the properties use and potential as a life-long learning resource.
• Leading, Inspiring and Managing Change – leads and inspires the wider team, including property staff and volunteers through on-going activity.
• Matrix Management and Working – leads multi-disciplinary teams. These teams include retail, catering, rangers, hospitality and gardening with also regionally based personnel.
• Championing and Advocacy – stakeholder engagement to maintain positive and productive relations with local community, tourism, culture and heritage bodies and stakeholders.
• Marketing, Membership and Supporter Development – ensures business development and marketing of the property to maximise income generation.
• Financial Management & Compliance, Reporting and Management Information – responsible for budget preparation and control and works closely with the Business Manager to devise effective plans, objectives and solutions and monitor performance (financial, project delivery, initiatives).
• Health, Safety and the Environment.
• Strategic Development of the NTS – leads, champions and supports the strategic development of the Trust, through participation in national initiatives, projects and working group activity.
• Staff and Volunteer Leadership – Creating and maintaining a culture within the property that upholds the Trust’s ‘principles’ (Excellence, Accountability, Affordability, Integrity and Cooperation).
Key skills and experience required:
We are seeking a commercial individual with strong proven leadership and people management skills from a heritage, hospitality, tourism, retail background or similar.
• Direct experience of property / multi-site operational management where customer services and trading are primary features (e.g. retailing, hospitality, food, leisure).
• Knowledge of the Heritage sector would be a distinct advantage.
• Responsibility for combined operating revenue budgets of c.£1m per annum.
• Significant team management, mentoring, facilitating and coaching experience.
• Line management experience of staff groups in excess of 60, including supervisory staff.
• Demonstrable experience of managing Health and Safety in the workplace; formal training or personal development in this area desirable.
• Demonstrable experience of business development and business planning, notably: revenue development, partnerships and affinities, new trading, concept development, change management.
• Effective stakeholder management experience, notable examples: media, local government.
• Experience of responsibility for marketing and promotional planning and delivery, or participation in marketing and promotional initiatives – desirable.
• A full, clean driving licence for driving in the UK is essential.
This role offers an excellent competitive salary within a range of £48,158 – £53,266 plus Car Allowance £3,800 pa and significant company benefits.
Eden Scott are dealing exclusively with the Trust on this vacancy so to be considered for this exciting opportunity with a truly unique and best in class employer, please submit your CV online clearly stating salary expectation or to email@example.com and for an informal chat or to receive the full role information pack and job description please email or call Sally on 07776 662506.
Closing date for applications 5.00pm Friday 3rd December 2021.
Application Deadline: Friday 03/12/2021