Organisation: Historic Environment Scotland
Salary: £25,649 - £28,721 per annum
Location: Doune Castle Depot
The Monument Conservation Unit based in the Doune Depot has the responsibility for conservation, maintenance and presentation works at Doune Castle, Inchmahome Priory, Dunblane Cathedral and Cambuskenneth Abbey among others. You will be expected to carry out site based maintenance works at the above monuments, and others within the Central Region. A vehicle will be provided for your use, therefore a driving licence is essential.
The normal weekly hours of work will vary according to the working season in the working year. The working year will cover the calendar year 1 April to 31 March.
Currently the working year is divided into 2 working seasons namely a longer working hours season (summer) and a shorter working hours season (winter). The length of each working season will be fixed by local management after discussion with the Monument Conservation Units and not later than 1 April of that working year.
Key responsibilities, duties and objectives
• Carry out conservation painting and decoration using traditional techniques and materials.
• Carry out painter work on refurbishment/maintenance projects.
• Undertake painting works, including limewashing, to a high standard of finish to ensure all buildings in the Central Region are maintained/presented to the highest standard.
• Winter works may include bench maintenance and refreshing monument signage.
Knowledge, skills and experience
You will be required to demonstrate that you meet the requirements and qualifications below as part of the selection process.
• Time served Painter with Advanced Craft Qualification or equivalent
• Knowledge and experience of current painting conservation practices and techniques relating to historic buildings and monuments
• Knowledge and experience of Health and Safety on construction sites including awareness of COSHH regulations
• Full UK driving licence
• CSCS Card holder
• PASMA training
Application Deadline: Wednesday 07/02/2024