Paintings Conservator Fixed Term 6 Months
Organisation: National Galleries of Scotland
Salary: £29,816- £32,645 per annum
This is a specialist conservator role, delivering paintings conservation across the collection. It is based within the Directorate of Conservation and Collections Management, reporting to one of the Senior Paintings Conservators. It sits alongside and compliments the other conservation specialisms of paper, sculpture, time-based media, preventive conservation and heritage science.
Paintings conservation and research (80%)
• Assist colleagues with the planning and programming of the paintings conservation work required to deliver the loans, displays, exhibitions, acquisitions and collections care activities which are scheduled.
• Keep records of work undertaken over the course of the year and liaise with colleagues to flag up any anticipated issues with the delivery of the work programme and to advise on whether additional requests can be accommodated.
• Undertake the conservation work required for exhibitions and displays of paintings, both within NGS and at non-NGS sites, including advising on the suitability of works of art for transport and display, condition checking, conservation treatments and application of preventive conservation measures.
• Undertake paintings conservation work required to improve standards of collections care, such as condition surveys of targeted parts of the collection and remedial treatments of objects in poor condition.
• Carry out a range of written and electronic documentation, including requesting photography, communicating findings and providing data for entry onto the NGS collections management database (Multi Mimsy) and NGS website.
• With colleagues, respond to any incident reports which relate to paintings.
• Liaise with conservation technicians and art handling technicians to ensure that works are safely packed and installed, which may involve designing specialist storage and display cases.
• Where appropriate, undertake art historical research relating to parts of the NGS paintings collection, and conservation research relating to modes of deterioration and conservation materials and techniques.
Application Deadline: Sunday 17/10/2021