Part Time Tour Guide
Location: Port of Leith Distillery
Post: Tour Guide
Part Time Flexible
Wednesday to Sunday
Directorate: Muckle Brig Ltd
Reporting to: Visitor Experience Duty Manager
Our company values are at the foundation of everything we do.
We focus on products that we love.
We keep our conscience clear.
We achieve everything as a team.
We deal with the difficult stuff first.
We spend our money on the right things.
We invite our friends to parties.
2022 was a very exciting (and busy) year at Muckle Brig as we finally opened our new Lind & Lime Gin distillery on Coburg Street. This greatly enhanced our production capacity for gin, but also provided us with a superb new brand home where we now welcome visitors for weekly tours.
Moving forward, the Port of Leith Distillery will open in summer 2023. Here we intend to make a remarkable new single malt Scotch whisky and become a major new tourism landmark in Edinburgh.
We’re building Scotland’s first vertical distillery in Edinburgh’s historic whisky district of Leith. Our tour will take in 6 levels of our incredible new building with views spanning across the Firth of Forth, Leith, and back up across Edinburgh, a spectacular Quality Control Tasting Lab, 4 levels for vertical whisky production and our stunning Lexco Retail area on Level 6. We want to make this one of the most exciting whisky tours, anywhere.
That’s where you come in.
We’re looking for passionate, super friendly, outgoing and enthusiastic Tour Guides with excellent multi-tasking skills to join our whisky, gin and people-loving Visitor Experience Team.
As a Port of Leith Tour Guide you will be the face of our Whisky Distillery, leading our guests through our Tour Experience, tasting, bottling and so much more.
Port of Leith Whisky Distillery is a fun, fast-paced, diverse environment to work in. Excellent communication skills are paramount to a successful day. Your skills, enthusiasm and diplomacy will shine through for our guests and your colleagues within the distillery.
• Welcome and orientate guests
• Dynamic storytelling in a timely fashion round our distillery providing the historical stories behind our whisky, factual information on our production process, demonstrating mini-bottling and conducting tasting sessions in our Quality Control Laboratory
• Shifts setting up, clearing, cleaning and resetting the tour route and tasting laboratory for each tour
• Ongoing cleanliness and presentability of the tour area
• Assisting with guests needs as required to ensure an excellent experience
• Assisting with Private Tours and Events on an ad hoc basis
• Weekly and monthly stock takes across Tour and Retail stock
• Being a superb ambassador for all aspects of Muckle Brig including Lind & Lime, Port of Leith Distillery and LEXCO, our export company.
• Following our Health & Safety and Food Hygiene policies
• You may be required to work at other Muckle Brig locations when appropriate
• Other tasks as required
Skills & Experience:
As the welcoming face or our distillery, you are a superb communicator with an enthusiastic and flexible approach with the ability to adapt to any situation. You can create a fabulous atmosphere for groups large and small. You are a competent multi-tasker who thrives on being part of a team delivering excellent visitor experience. Regular training and coaching provided.
• Enthusiastic and confident, warm, friendly with plenty of energy
• Confident to present to groups, large and small
• Positive, can-do attitude
• Excellent timekeeping skills are essential
• Previous presenting and/or bar experience would be advantageous but not essential
• Fluency in a foreign language would be advantageous but not essential
• Knowledge of the whisky production process would be advantageous but not essential
SALARY & BENEFITS
• Company discretionary annual bonus scheme.
• 20 days holidays per year + public holidays pro rata
• Employee discount scheme.
• Employee cask programme, share trust and bonus incentives.
• Full training given with CPD opportunities ongoing
This job description is indicative of the nature and level of responsibility associated with the job. It is not exhaustive and there may be a requirement to undertake other duties as required
To apply please send your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: Friday 11/08/2023