PLANTS Project Data Manager
Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £28,644 - £31,523 pro-rata, per annum
This role is essential to the success of the PLANTS Project – Plant Listing at National Trust for Scotland, an exciting new three-year programme to update the plant inventories at the 39 major gardens owned or managed by NTS across Scotland. Accurate plant records are essential, to ensure legal compliance, safe management of the collections, and for supporting visitor engagement and research. Working with the newly implemented IrisBG database, this project represents a major investment in our plant collections and will result in up-to-date plant records across the Trust. The completed inventory will help us safeguard the collections and will provide our property and gardens staff with a reliable, accessible source of collections information for interpretation and visitor enjoyment.
The purpose of this post is to manage and oversee the quality of the data and images created and edited during the PLANTS Project. The post holder will be responsible for developing the data standards and providing training in these standards for the data held within IrisBG. They will also monitor the data produced during the project to ensure accuracy and consistency and provide feedback to the team. The post-holder will be responsible for the data processing and ongoing maintenance of the taxonomy and plant sourcing databases within IrisBG. The post holder will also develop the protocols for an extensive programme of volunteer plant photography and specialist photography consultants, ensuring photographic standards, and image processing standards are in place, and monitoring the quality and accuracy of the submitted images and associated metadata for capture in the NTS DAMs system.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
• Develop data standards for the inventory project, providing clear written guidance and training to all project staff to ensure consistent data capture throughout.
• Create and deliver training in inventory technique and data processing for the PLANTS project teams.
• Responsible for ensuring data accuracy by monitoring the data produced by the inventory teams and providing timely feedback and additional training or written guidance to the teams where needed.
• Create regular monitoring reports for the Project Manager.
• Update and process the data held in existing plant taxonomy and the plant source databases within IrisBG.
• Work with IrisBG, and NTS colleagues to troubleshoot database operational issues to ensure the smooth running of the inventory team’s work.
• Manage database user access permissions to ensure inventory team and property staff have the required level of database access for the appropriate properties.
• Monitor data production to ensure that data security and GDPR procedures are adhered to working with the trusts Data Protection Officer. Provide training to property and gardens staff on the GDPR requirements for the compliant collection of plant source data.
• Develop a photography workflow – creating a process for photograph processing, renaming, resizing, and uploading the images to Portfolio DAMS or other NTS image storage solutions.
• Procure professional training for photography volunteers, to ensure consistent quality of photographic submissions.
• Manage bulk data imports on behalf of the project teams and develop templates for future bulk imports and updates.
• Explore and develop possible additional database functionality and tools for future operation of the database.
• Contribute to content production for social media to promote the project.
Application Deadline: Friday 06/05/2022