Seasonal Canal Workers - Caledonian Canal
Organisation: Scottish Canals
Salary: £12.13 per hour
Location: Various locations along the Caledonian Canal
Scottish Canals are responsible for the management and development of five canals; we care for bridges, buildings, locks, The Falkirk Wheel, The Kelpies and 19 water supply reservoirs in locations across Scotland. We are currently seeking cheerful, positive, and outgoing people to join our seasonal team.
This is a great role for people who love nature and the outdoors, enjoy meeting new people, being out and about in the fresh air, and who want to learn new skills! You’ll meet an incredible variety of people from all over the world, have the chance to experience something truly unique, work as a team, and spend time in some of the most spectacular landscapes in the country.
You’ll be provided with all the training you will need to be safe and successful, and can expect to start out by being based within busier areas of our canal network. You’ll be meeting and engaging with boaters and members of the public, sharing information, answering questions, and helping to keep the canal operating safely and efficiently.
Key Duties Include:
• Operating locks and swing bridges (full training given)
• Planning boat movements to move vessels through the canal as efficiently as possible
• Assisting boaters and members of the public with information and enquiries
• Operating mowers & strimmers
• Carrying out minor maintenance works as directed
• Maintaining accurate and timely records as required.
• Assisting and supporting water management and water conservation
To be successful you will have:
• Face to face customer service experience
• Basic DIY and maintenance skills
• The ability to communicate positively and effectively with other team members and boaters to support the efficient operation of the canal
• Basic literacy and numeracy skills, including basic use of computers and smart phones
• Health and safety awareness
• A full driving licence and your own transport is essential
This role attracts an hourly rate of £12.13. You will work on a rolling rota which will include weekends and bank holidays.
We are looking for new team members to join us from 11th March to 3rd November 2024, working across a number of sites along the Caledonian Canal. Weekly hours may vary.
Full uniform, company phone and training will be provided.
Closing date Monday 29th January 2024
Application Deadline: Monday 29/01/2024