Social Media Executive
Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £29,217 - £32,153 pro-rata, per annum
CONTEXT – THE ROLE OF THE CHARITY
National Trust for Scotland is a charity that was founded in 1931 to promote access and protection of Scotland’s natural and human heritage in our care. Our vision is simple: Nature, Beauty and Heritage, for everyone.
Our work ranges from managing castles to coastlines, art to architecture, wildlife to wilderness, for everyone to experience today and for generations to come.
Under the Trust’s ten-year strategy, by our centenary in 2031 we will be able to demonstrate that the Trust is not only carbon neutral, but is making a significant contribution to how Scotland faces up to climate change.
We are also committed to providing ways for everyone to experience wellbeing in our beautiful and calming places, as well as bringing families and friends together in safe and meaningful ways.
We are the largest membership organisation in Scotland, one of the best supported charities when it comes to our 2,500+ volunteers, and we a charity that provides employment and skills development to over 1,500 people across Scotland.
As well as being driven by our purpose we are also guided by our Values: Brave, Caring, Inclusive, Vibrant and Curious. Standing up and being counted matters to us, as does supporting each other, including everyone, being engaging and always looking for ways to improve.
THE CUSTOMER & CAUSE DIRECTORATE
A key directorate at the Trust is Customer & Cause which comprises a team or circa 40 people, supported by a strong set of external agency partners.
We are here to inspire more people to visit, join and donate to the Trust. We do this by managing marketing, communications, digital, social media and fundraising activity for the charity.
We manage the membership experience and our proud to look after over a third-of-a-million members who help support our vital conservation work as well as experience the best of Scotland by being a member of the Trust.
The directorate works closely with our regional colleagues at our properties and outdoor places to support them in their activities. This work includes ensuring that the uniqueness of each place is well communicated as well as being presented in the context of the wider Trust brand and messaging.
The directorate is formally based at the Trust’s HQ in Edinburgh but the nature of most of our roles lend themselves to working flexibly in terms of location, and affords ongoing opportunities to experience properties and places on a regular basis.
THE TEAM SPECIFIC TO THE ROLE
The Communications Team is one of the four teams in the Customer & Cause directorate: Communications, Marketing, Membership and Fundraising.
The Communications Team is responsible for national and regional PR, internal communications, social media, filming & TV opportunities, podcasts, VIP relations, and insight.
While social media is managed by the Communications Team it is important to recognise that there is dispersed activity on social media platforms across the Trust to support too.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The Social Media Executive role exists to ensure that the Trust is maximising its effectiveness at reaching new and existing audiences with relevant and compelling content through social media channels that inspires continued and deepening engagement.
SOCIAL MEDIA EXECUTIVE JOB DESCRIPTION
SOCIAL MEDIA STRATEGY AND IMPLEMENTATION PLAN
• You will support the Social Media Manager in the development of a clear strategy for social media that can demonstrate how it will deliver clear value in support of the Trust’s ten-year strategy.
• You will work with the Social Media Manager to ensure there is a clear annual implementation plan for social media, nationally and regionally, so that everyone is clear on what needs to be done, and when.
PUBLISHING AND ENGAGING ON NATIONAL ACCOUNTS
• You will work with key stakeholders to plan daily national social media activity, in line with the Trust’s strategic objectives, and brand identity and targets.
• You will be responsible for writing, publishing and optimising content on the Trust’s national social media accounts, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, using social media management software.
• You will be responsible for the collation and sharing of user-generated content to utilise user social proof.
• The content you lead on will be aligned to marketing campaigns, fundraising appeals, key property events, and major project updates across the Trust. The key is to ensure what you publish is part of a wider integrated set of plans.
• All content you are responsible for will conform to the Trust’s Editorial Policy regarding matters of brand, accuracy and legality.
• You will be responsible for monitoring and responding to engagements on the national social media accounts.
MONITORING AND REPORTING
• You will be constantly assessing how the Trust is performing on each of its social media channels compared to a range of peer-set organisations.
• You will work with the Insights Manager to produce regular reports on how social media is performing and contributing to the wider aims of the Charity.
• You will assist in social listening to gather and analyse actionable insights.
• You will help us assess existing social media channels and bring forward recommendations for new and improved approaches.
• You will assist in the recruitment of internal and external brand ambassadors.
• You will work with the Filming Manager to process filming enquiries at the initial stage as and when required.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE
▪ Degree in a relevant discipline or equivalent practical experience
▪ Driving Licence, valid for driving within the UK
This role does not require you to undertake a criminal records check.
▪ Experience of the day-to-day management of social media accounts for a complex organisation
▪ Clear knowledge of social media management software
▪ Experience of creating written and image-led content for social media and optimising for a range of audiences and different channels
▪ Strong planning and organisational skills, comfortable working across multiple social platforms at the same time
▪ Experience with brand ambassadors, influencers and brand partners and know how to deliver credible and compelling content and communications
▪ Monitoring and reporting on measurable performance objectives for social media
▪ Building a good relationship with a variety of internal stakeholders, balancing their needs and interests
▪ Excellent attention to detail, with effective verbal, written and visual communication skills
▪ Demonstrable interest in Scotland’s heritage
▪ Experience of filming or video-editing for social media
▪ Experience in promoting or boosting social posts within a budget
DIMENSIONS AND SCOPE OF JOB
• No line management responsibilities
• Collaborative working relationships with Customer & Cause colleagues including Marketing, Fundraising and Content teams
• Work alongside agencies and external consultants to deliver excellent value for money
• Develop excellent working relationships with internal stakeholders, collaborating with them to deliver outcomes that provide outstanding user experiences and deliver on business objectives
• Team structure:
• Responsible for monitoring and reporting on budget allocations used tactically for paid social media content
Tools / equipment / systems
• Experience using an enterprise-level social media management tool
• Familiar with Adobe software (Photoshop/Premiere Pro) and experience with creating and editing multimedia content
• Experience of using tools such as Google Analytics and native analytics platforms (e.g. Facebook Insights) to track and monitor performance of social channels, and optimise content through testing.
• This role is primarily based at Hermiston Quay but is required to travel occasionally to other locations on Trust business. Note that as the Trust’s properties are often in remote or rural locations where public transport may be limited, the ability and confidence to drive in the UK is desirable.
• Hermiston Quay is an open plan office with workspaces spread over two floors linked by staircases and a lift. This role primarily works in an office on the first floor.
• We are moving to a hybrid system of working which will when possible enable part of the working week to be spent at home or at another Trust location
Example key performance indicators and targets
• Having a positive impact on the conversion rate of visitors, members and donors
• Increasing audience reach and engagement
• Ensuring our social media content is accessible for everyone to enjoy
The Key Responsibilities, Scope of Job, and Required Qualifications, Skills, Experience & Knowledge reflect the requirements of the job at the time of issue.
The Trust reserves the right to amend these with appropriate consultation and/or request the post-holder to undertake any activities that it believes to be reasonable within the broad scope of the job or his/her general abilities.
Application Deadline: Friday 03/03/2023