Visitor Centre Supervisor
Organisation: Forestry and Land Scotland
About the Team
Forestry and Land Scotland (FLS) is an agency of the Scottish Government. We manage Scotland’s Forests and Land on behalf of the Scottish Ministers. FLS Central region covers 92,000ha of forests, stretching from the Atlantic oak woodlands on Cowal in the West, across Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park to the recreational pinewoods of Fife, and includes lowland raised bogs and former coal sites within the southern central belt area.
The Central Region Visitor Services team manage public access and safety across the geographically diverse holdings including 112 managed trails 1, visitor centre and 40 urban woodlands that support the mental and physical wellbeing of over 2.6 million visitors annually. The Region includes Glasgow, Edinburgh, Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park. This role will be situated in the eastern part of the national park: Queen Elizabeth Forest Park.
Queen Elizabeth Forest Park contains a number of popular visitor locations: The Lodge Visitor Centre, Sallochy Campsite, East Loch Lomond, 3 Lochs Forest Drive, Ben A’an, Ben Ledi, Strathyre, Achray Forest and Loch Ard Forest. The Visitor Centre Supervisor will work from the Lodge Forest Visitor Centre, Aberfoyle and receives over 200,000 visitors annually and is a national 5 star Visit Scotland destination delivering a wide range of visitor experiences on site.
The Visitor Service and Communities (VS&C) team is responsible for ensuring the delivery of high quality visitor experience through the management of the recreational facilities and engagement with: visitors, lease holders, event organisers and participants as well as planning future developments.
What you will do
Working with a small team at the Lodge you will deliver a high level of customer service and hospitality, hold events, promote the recreational opportunities in the area and maintain the trails leading directly from the Lodge. The post holder will supervise the day to day management of the Lodge and onsite FLS staff, deliver regular building and staff supervisor checks and be the onsite supervisor for FLS.
You will build working relationships with partners such as Café at the Lodge, Go Ape Tree Top Adventures, RSPB, Wildlife Tourism and the National Park Authority, to develop and oversee visitor engagement and infrastructure projects.
The Lodge is open 7 days a week and this post will be part of a 7 day rota. The role is a full time position (37 hours per week) with weekend, public holiday and occasional evenings a requirement for the role.
• Ensure that a consistent and high quality 5 Star visitor experience is delivered. Provide quality front of house services including advice and information to customers and stakeholders.
• Ensure the offer at the Lodge appeals to our audiences and remains fresh and relevant.
• Supervise onsite FLS staff and be onsite duty supervisor for Forestry and land Scotland. Ensure tasks undertaken by the team are to a sufficient standard.
• Deliver daily, weekly and monthly building and staff safety checks. Ensuring building maintenance is commissioned and delivered to a sufficient standard.
• Deliver our Volunteer offer at the Lodge.
• Respond to customer complaints and suggestions in a professional and courteous manner.
• Ensure all site Health and Safety protocols are adhered to and any incidents are appropriately recorded. Ensuring compliance with all relevant legislation and guidance, to meet visitor needs.
• Work closely with onsite partners and tenants, building on current strong relationships. Engage with stakeholders e.g. local community groups, neighbours, project delivery partners.
The successful applicant should be able to demonstrate that they are well organised, able to work proactively within a team and work positively with Tenant Businesses. A willing and flexible approach is required as the role varies greatly on a daily basis from organising repairs for boilers and water systems to facility cleaning and management.
Application Deadline: Sunday 03/04/2022