Visitor Experience Assistant
Organisation: The Scottish Seabird Centre
Location: North Berwick
Our Visitor Experience Assistants are key members of our team who act as the first point of contact for visitors – welcoming them to the Centre, providing information on what we do and helping people to learn more about Scotland’s amazing marine wildlife and habitats. Your aim is to ensure that our visitors have a genuinely memorable experience. The role provides an opportunity to both gain experience of, and deliver, excellent customer service across our welcome point, retail, discovery experience and boat (seasonal March-October) activities. At times, you will be asked to help the wider team with light café duties, so this role is never dull!
We are looking for enthusiastic people who enjoy proactively engaging with customers across a range of departments. You must have a desire to provide excellent customer care and a memorable experience, often in a fast-paced environment. You should have an interest in Scotland’s marine and coastal environment and environmental sustainability, although opportunities to learn more about this will be provided in the role.
• Welcome everyone to the Centre and provide information to them on what they can do when visiting and our wider charitable activities.
• Support the booking systems for our experience activities (boats, discovery, and events) and process admission tickets and/or refunds.
• Promote the benefits of membership and/or our Friends and wildlife adoptions schemes to visitors.
• Support our volunteer team who assist with various activities in the Centre.
• Work safely, observing all Health & Safety policies and procedures.
Experience: You will support visitors to get the most from the exhibits, interactives, and remote live cameras within our Discovery Experience, including giving information on local wildlife sightings and presentations to groups of visitors on a range of topics (training will be given).
Retail: You will assist at our Information and Retail counter ensuring that all displays and counters are appropriately stocked and presented, assisting with stock selection and management, and supporting customer sales at the till or online. This is the key point for providing general information to our customers.
Boats: you will support customers who wish to take one of our amazing wildlife boat trips by processing bookings, providing information on what they might see and managing any cancellations and refunds to customers.
Café: At peak times you will also support our café operations which will include taking and processing orders at the till, serving meals, clearing and cleaning tables and assisting in the dishwasher area.
Essential skills and experience
• Consistent delivery of a high-quality visitor experience
• Customer-focused attitude and experience
• A confident communicator – verbal and written.
• Organised with an ability to take the initiative and prioritise your work.
• A team player – adaptable and flexible to a varied working environment.
• Attention to detail and providing accurate information.
• Ability to problem-solve.
• Basic IT and maths skills.
Desirable skills and experience
• An interest in Scotland’s marine and coastal environment
• An awareness of and alignment with environmental sustainability principles and practice.
Our values underpin everything we do. We take pride in bringing these to life in all that we do. We are:
• PASSIONATE about Scotland’s coastal and marine environment.
• INSPIRE others to explore and care for Scotland’s coastal and marine environment.
• INNOVATE with the approaches we use to engage with people.
• COLLABORATE with local and national partners to convey the importance of Scotland’s marine environment.
• INFORMED about the current health of Scotland’s marine wildlife and habitats and the actions required to protect it.
• TRUSTWORTHY providing reliable information and acting with integrity and without bias.
Application Deadline: Friday 16/12/2022