Visitor Experience team - Cook
Organisation: The Scottish Seabird Centre
Location: North Berwick
We are looking for a Cook to join our Catering team. We welcome hundreds of people each week to our Centre and this role ensures that the variety, quality, and sustainability of food products provided through our Seabird Café contributes to the customer’s overall experience.
The Cook supports the preparation of the food on the menu for our daily service and occasional events.
The main responsibilities of the Cook are:
i. Check the quality of ingredients and prepare these to use in cooking (chopping and peeling vegetables, cutting meat, preparing salads etc.).
ii. Learn and become familiar with the cooking process, equipment and appliances used to make each of our dishes.
iii. Ensure great presentation of our food, by dressing dishes before they are served.
iv. Cook dishes under the supervision of the Catering Manager or the Chef and develop sufficient competence to provide cover during staff absences/holiday cover.
v. Ensure that all dishes for a single order are ready for serving at the same time and co-ordinate effectively with the café serving team.
vi. Take responsibility for maintaining and cleaning the kitchen area/equipment ensuring that all appropriate standards are met.
vii. Ensure all food and other items are stored properly.
viii. Monitor stock levels and advise the Catering Manager or Chef of any orders that need to be placed.
ix. Ensure that all duties are undertaken in compliance with health and safety, food standards and hygiene regulations and practices, as well as our internal procedures.
x. Carry out any other reasonable duty which is within the competence of the post.
Essential skills and experience
• Organised with an ability to work effectively in what can be a fast-paced, high-volume business at peak times.
• A team player – adaptable and flexible.
• A confident communicator.
• An appropriate means of transport to get to the Centre (between 0830 and 1800).
Desirable skills and experience
• A willingness to learn on the job and/or to work towards an SQV cooking certificate.
• Alignment with our charity’s conservation and education goals.
• An awareness of and affinity to environmental sustainability principles.
Please see full role profile below.
Application Deadline: Sunday 31/07/2022