Front of House Assistant Museum & Galleries
Organisation: Live Borders
Salary: £9.90 per hour
To take an active role with the day to day running of the venue.
Including running reception desk, gift shop, room bookings and display area operations.
Key function is to provide first class services to the visiting public.
1. Provide a first class visitor experience at all times and act as a role model for excellent customer service.
2. Undertake reception duties, (e.g. admission of members of the public, dealing with enquiries, process bookings and retail sales using electronic systems, issuing customer research paperwork, maintain and monitor electronic records, etc.).
3. Work in the attraction shop/retail area, actively selling merchandise, merchandising, restocking and rotating stock as well as ensuring general up keep of the area.
4. In line with legal and operational guidelines, process cash and card transactions, bank income and complete daily and weekly income records.
5. Proactively encourage visitors to make a donation to support their visit, actively upselling benefits of contributing through donations.
6. Actively and accurately deliver visitor information on the attraction, other Live Borders facilities and the wider visitor/heritage economy of the Borders and beyond using a range of resources including on site materials and digital facilities.
7. Dealing with general enquiries and relaying these to relevant staff where appropriate, recording data relating to offers of prospective loans or donations received from the public.
8. Assist with the proper security of the venue, including key holding duties.
9. Follow daily cleaning and housekeeping tasks associated with maintaining an excellent customer service experience, including but not limited to; emptying waste bins, dusting, glass cleaning and vacuuming, customer toilet checks throughout the day, welcome area outside building is clean and well presented. This work will involve some handling and lifting abilities and use of standard cleaning equipment.
10. Liaising with the Assistant Curator/Supervisor regarding matters relating to the museum, displays, collections and facilities as per agreed procedures. Ensure that museum displays are fit for purpose i.e. supplies of hands-on material are adequate, electronic equipment is in working order, displays/interpretation are in place.
11. Assist at events including, private views, education activities and group visits.
12. Undertaking minor maintenance/repairs as directed to the displays, fixtures and fittings, including replacing light bulbs (where possible), monitoring environmental conditions (where appropriate) and ensuring that all matters of significance are recorded appropriately and reported to Assistant Curator/Supervisor for attention.
13. Undertake occasional work on the museum collections as directed including; compiling and checking paper records, museum paperwork duties, data collation and input, answering enquiries and re-packing boxes of museum objects as per established procedures.
14. Build and maintain good working relationships with colleagues within the organisation
15. Comply with, and ensure compliance with, all Live Borders policies and procedures
16. Ensure services meet Health and Safety standards established by Live Borders
17. As an employee you must take reasonable care for the health and safety of yourself, other employees and anyone else who may be affected by your work activities carried out. Employees shall work in accordance with policies, procedures, information, instructions and / or training received.
18. This job description is indicative of the nature and level of responsibility associated with the job. It is not exhaustive and there may be a requirement to undertake your duties in another Live Borders venue to meet requirements of the Service or Live Borders.
Application Deadline: Thursday 30/06/2022