Visitor Service Manager, Culzean
Organisation: Eden Scott
Salary: £36,523 – £40,238
Location: South Ayrshire
Eden Scott is delighted to be working with the National Trust for Scotland, a charity established in 1931, to provide access and enjoyment to the properties, places and collections in its care. They also exist to protect what they look after for future generations to enjoy; and increasingly they are keen to act as a strong conservation voice for heritage and climate change response across Scotland.
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the team at the Trust in the role of Visitor Service Manager at the significant and high profile NTS heritage property at Culzean Castle and Country Park, situated on the stunning Ayrshire coastline.
This vast and diverse 260-hectare estate has a magnificent cliff top Castle, 40 buildings including cafes, retail outlets, holiday cottages and a hotel and is a popular visitor attraction for day visitors and also for holding events.
The Visitor Service Manager is a hands-on role, supporting the Operations Manager to ensure close collaboration between operational teams and central teams, namely, retail, membership, collections conservation and curatorial. The Visitor Services Manager has first line responsibility for all retail sales, admissions income, NTS membership and visitor data at Culzean as well as the care for Culzean Castle and collections.
This includes supporting the Operations Manager to ensure the highest standard of service and experience is offered to our visitors through all responsible areas. The post holder will lead retail and membership teams to exceed sales budgets through exceptional customer service training, merchandising, upselling and experiences. This role will also lead a team looking after Castle and its collections, supporting the curator and conservator to ensure the highest standard of collections care is delivered and engage with our visitors through written and people led interpretation.
The Visitor Services Manager will ensure that all managed departments are safe, secure, clean and comfortable environments in which staff, students, and volunteers can effectively work, and visitors can enjoy. Weekend working is required, and the post-holder will be expected to work flexibly, taking time off in lieu, in accordance with Trust policy.
As a key member of the wider management team at Culzean the role will work with the team to deliver an overall visitor experience strategy, promoting good communication across the property and a joined-up service provision. This role will be part of the property leadership team and will act as Duty Manager for the property on a rota basis.
Key responsibilities include:
• Setting and achieving stretching budgets for retail and membership.
• You will effectively plan and grow income and profitability as well utilising NTS tools to control costs.
• You will develop business plans for retail, membership and castle/collections, ensuring teams have exceptional product knowledge and the skills to deliver amazing days out.
• You will monitor results regularly and take necessary action to achieve budgets, working with central support teams when required.
• You will lead and participate in the preventative conservation of the collection at Culzean.
• You will be responsible for managing the routine and deep-cleaning programmes, including monitoring environmental controls, monitoring and maintaining deterioration of the collections and supporting the conservator.
• You will lead conservation projects within the Castle, ensuring all teams working within the castle are mitigating against damage.
• Management experience within a large scale customer focused and commercial operation ie. museum, visitor attraction, hospitality or retail industry or similar
• Proven experience of leading a team within and between departments
• Proven experience of managing large multi-disciplinary teams in a busy environment of face-to-face interaction with public
• Proven experience of commercial management within a visitor attraction or equivalent.
• Driving license and own transport.
This role offers an excellent competitive salary within a range of £36,523 – £40,238 plus significant company benefits.
Eden Scott is dealing exclusively with the Trust on this vacancy so to be considered for this exciting opportunity with a truly unique and best in class employer, please submit your CV online clearly stating salary expectation or to firstname.lastname@example.org and for an informal chat or to receive the full role information pack and job description please email or call Sally on 07776 662506.
Closing date for applications 12.00noon Monday 5th December 2022.
Application Deadline: Monday 05/12/2022