Visitor Services Assistant
Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £23,805 pro-rata, per annum (Including 5% Supplement)
This is an exciting and varied role at Glenfinnan Monument and Visitor Centre.
You’ll help us welcome visitors from across the globe and ensure they have an enjoyable, memorable experience here, from the moment they arrive to the moment they leave. Through warm, engaging, informative interactions, you’ll help share stories about this amazing place and build support and understanding for the National Trust for Scotland.
Based in either our busy shop or one of two catering outlets, you’ll help generate the income that enables our charity to care for this world-renowned historic site, by serving customers and promoting the benefits of NTS membership. Your role is vital to ensure this popular destination operates smoothly and safely.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
Provide a consistently high standard of visitor care
• Welcome visitors at all our key touch points, from arriving in our car park and making purchases in our café and shop, to climbing up the Monument and enjoying our exhibition.
• Provide a responsive, friendly and efficient service, tailored to the needs of both individual visitors and tour groups.
• Develop a thorough understanding of the place you work, enabling you to share stories with visitors, offer ideas to help them enjoy their visit and answer common questions.
• Follow guidelines to ensure retail or catering displays remain enticing throughout the day and help with stock replenishment to ensure product availability.
• Work flexibly and in harmony with your colleagues across departments, supporting each other to make best use of team resources, especially at busy times.
• Feed back visitor comments and your own ideas to develop and improve our offer, service and operations.
• Help gather photos / videos for social media to promote our activities and encourage visits.
• Assist with the set-up, stewarding and break-down of functions and events.
Generate the income that enables us to look after special places
• Be aware of the team’s targets for generating income and aim to achieve and exceed them.
• Actively upsell our café, shop and membership offer and services with excellent product knowledge, tailored to customer preferences.
• Be responsible for accurate and secure till operation and sales processing, supporting the reconciliation of end-of-day takings.
Maintain excellent standards of site and personal presentation and safety
• Help with behind-the-scenes tasks to prepare for opening at the start of the day and close-down at the end.
• Take pride in building and landscape presentation, maintaining high standards throughout by helping to clean public and staff areas.
• Report all instances of damage, wear and tear or maintenance needs promptly.
• Ensure you are clearly identifiable and appropriately dressed by wearing uniform, name badges, and PPE as required.
• Share responsibility for the health and welfare of property staff, volunteers and visitors by adhering to NTS Health, Safety and Environment policies and guidelines.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE
• No formal educational qualification required. Relevant training provided.
Desirable Skills, Experience & Knowledge
• Experience in a customer-facing role
• Enthusiasm for the aims and objectives of the National Trust for Scotland
• Excellent “front of house” persona – warm, welcoming, helpful, patient and understanding
• Excellent communication skills, a passion for sharing stories and offering memorable experiences
• Persuasive selling skills, tailoring conversations to customer needs and product knowledge
• Ability to work within a team or independently to a high and safe standard
• Comfortable with being flexible and adapting working patterns to meet property needs
• Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritise
• Attention to detail and pride in presentation standards
The Key Responsibilities, Scope of Job, and Required Qualifications, Skills, Experience & Knowledge reflect the requirements of the job at the time of issue. The Trust reserves the right to amend these with appropriate consultation and/or request the post-holder to undertake any activities that it believes to be reasonable within the broad scope of the job or his/her general abilities.
Application Deadline: Friday 31/03/2023