Visitor Services Assistant - Engagement
Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £22,672 pro-rata, per annum
As a front-line member of the Engagement team your job is give an amazing welcome and tell the stories of the Culloden Cluster sites. This includes Abertarff House, Hugh Miller’s Cottage and Culloden Battlefield. You will be working in the gallery delivering handling workshops, delivering daily tours in the peak season, costumed presentations and facilitating school and military programmes as well as supporting in other departments.
This role is key to the visitor experience; your role is to put smiles on faces and ensure our visitors have an amazing visit.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
This role will assist the Engagement team to deliver high quality visitor experience at Culloden Battlefield, and across the Culloden Cluster (including but not limited to):
• Deliver daily high quality informal and formal engagement programming
• Develop strong historical knowledge of site and wider area
• Be responsible and proactive. Ensuring all day-to-day tasks are completed including record keeping and reporting figures, cleaning, preparation and basic administration as required.
• To provide consistently excellent customer service when dealing with high volumes of customers
• Cash reconciliation duties including start and end of day tasks, must have experience handling cash accurately and processing sales
• Be able to take responsibility for your own development and learning.
• Have a flexible approach to working hours and days including working weekend and Bank Holidays as appropriate.
• To work across departments when necessary, supporting the wider Culloden cluster
• Adhering to the property’s quality standards including but not limited to the wearing of uniform.
• Ensuring health and welfare of property staff, volunteers, and visitors by adhering to the Trust’s Health, Safety and Environment policies and guidelines. This includes working within the property’s “Safe System of Work” (the system for managing Health & Safety).
• Ensuring Safe systems of work are implemented effectively within all activities
This role is one for which the duties, responsibilities or accountabilities of the role require you to become a member of the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (PVG) scheme, administered by Disclosure Scotland. This role involves regulated work with children / vulnerable adults.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE
Degree in relevant subject, or equivalent practical experience
Driving License, valid for driving within the UK
First Aid certificate
Retail and or Café experience
Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills
Ability to work within a team or independently, with minimal supervision to a high and safe standard.
Ability to be flexible, to adapt working patterns and tasks to meet day-to-day variations in property needs.
Ability to adjust pace to match customer flow without compromising quality of service.
Excellent front of house persona – warm, welcoming, patient and understanding.
Demonstrable time management skills and the ability to prioritise
Ability to be proactive and to take the initiative.
Public speaking skills
Relevant experience in museum, tourism, hospitality, or equivalent sector
Understanding of varied approaches to learning
Understanding of the needs of learners of all ages, abilities and interests
Cash handling experience
DIMENSIONS AND SCOPE OF JOB
The Engagement team consists of a Visitor Services Manager (Engagement) and a Visitor Services Supervisor (Engagement); there are no line management responsibilities for this role but this role works closely with volunteers and members of the wider site team.
This role involves working with members of the public of all ages and abilities on a daily basis
This role will involve cash reconciliation duties as appointed by the Visitor Services Manager (Engagement).
Tools / equipment / systems
There will be the occasional use of cleaning chemicals.
This role will involve manual handling.
Is expected to work and ensure compliance within the property’s ‘safe systems of work’ (the system for managing health and safety)
This role is shared across the Culloden cluster the post holder is required to travel occasionally to other locations on Trust business. Note that as the Trust’s properties are often in remote or rural locations where public transport may be limited, the ability and confidence to drive in the UK is essential.
Culloden Battlefield Visitor Centre includes the visitor centre, Leanach cottage and the battlefield itself. This role includes delivering guided tours outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
Abertarff House is the oldest house in Inverness and the role will require the post holder to work across departments
Example key performance indicators and targets
This role will be involved in the recording of accurate visitor statistics for the Engagement team.
The Key Responsibilities, Scope of Job, and Required Qualifications, Skills, Experience & Knowledge reflect the requirements of the job at the time of issue. The Trust reserves the right to amend these with appropriate consultation and/or request the post-holder to undertake any activities that it believes to be reasonable within the broad scope of the job or his/her general abilities.
Application Deadline: Sunday 04/06/2023