Visitor Services Assistant - Estates
Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £22,672 pro-rata, per annum
This job is necessary to help the National Trust for Scotland properly care for the cultural landscape and natural heritage of the busy Culloden Battlefield Visitor Centre site, through directly carrying out skilled estate maintenance work including path maintenance, caring for the conservation grazing herd and scrub clearance. As part of the Culloden Cluster the Estate team also supports Abertarff House and Hugh Millers Birthplace Cottage.
The Estates team play a pivotal role ensuring that the Culloden Landscape Management plan is realised and that we ensure safe access for over 300,000 visitors per year.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
• Ensuring a high standard of health and safety practice is followed while undertaking practical maintenance and conservation at Culloden Battlefield.
o Ensure you follow all relevant and appropriate Health and Safety Risk Assessments and activity procedures.
o Complete all relevant Health, Safety and Welfare logs relevant to your work and ensure compliance with COSHH
o Assist in delivery of all operations to ensure, where relevant and practical, the property is managed to reduce risk to the visiting public.
o Have an awareness of specific environmental risks relevant to working on the property, e.g. Lyme’s disease.
• Carry out essential estate maintenance to a high standard – this will include:
o Small scale repairs to fences, benches, gates and other countryside furniture
o Using and maintaining equipment including fencing tools, brush cutters and woodchippers
• Day to day care of the conservation grazing herd including cattle, goats and horses.
• Undertaking conservation work while following guidelines and regulations around scheduled monuments and archaeological sites
• Interacting with visitors at the site to communicate key visitor safety messages and act as a positive ambassador for the site and the NTS
• Work with and supervise volunteers in a safe and responsible manner helping them to maximize their input to the work needed at the site and their enjoyment of the experience
• Work across the Culloden Cluster supporting Abertarff House and Hugh Millers as necessary
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE
Demonstrable ability to work in all weathers, and to cope with a rigorous working environment
Capable of working within a small, dedicated team while also self-motivated and capable of working with minimum of direction (though willing to seek appropriate professional advice when necessary).
Good time management skills, able to prioritise work where necessary
Practical knowledge of Health and Safety processes and procedures and the ability to work effectively within these processes
Competent IT skills to maintain records, communicate with volunteer groups etc.
LANTRA tickets for brushcutter, chipper or chainsaw or willingness to train, and exercise that training
Full clean UK driver’s license
• Experience of estate work at a heritage organisation or busy site which is open to the public
• Experience or good understanding of working with conservation grazers
• Experience of working with groups of volunteers
• Experience and skill in fencing and other estate skills.
• An understanding and commitment to the aims and objectives of the National Trust for Scotland.
• Towing license
• Experience of working in a busy tourist environment
DIMENSIONS AND SCOPE OF JOB
Culloden Battlefield is one of the Trust’s most iconic properties and attracts in excess of 370,000 visitors per year.
The site includes a scheduled ancient monument and 2 grade B listed historic buildings
There is a small conservation grazing herd of Highland and Shetland cattle, goats, and ponies
• The post-holder is not a line manager but will assist in the supervisory role with volunteers
• No financial management
Tools / equipment / systems
This role frequently uses hand-tools such as spades, pinch-bars, mattocks, and various fencing tools.
this role will be required to drive the work vehicle and an ATV
This role regularly uses powered tools and machinery, particularly a petrol driven brushcutter, chipper, and strimmer.
Dependent on qualifications, this role may at time use a chainsaw.
This role regularly uses the Trust’s email and CoreHR systems.
The Key Responsibilities, Scope of Job, and Required Qualifications, Skills, Experience & Knowledge reflect the requirements of the job at the time of issue. The Trust reserves the right to amend these with appropriate consultation and/or request the post-holder to undertake any activities that it believes to be reasonable within the broad scope of the job or his/her general abilities.
Application Deadline: Friday 17/03/2023