Visitor Services Assistant - Estates
Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £21,260 pro-rata, per annum
Location: Culloden Battlefield
This job is necessary to help the National Trust for Scotland properly care for the cultural landscape and natural heritage of the busy Culloden Battlefield Visitor Centre site, through directly carrying out skilled estate maintenance work including path maintenance, caring for the conservation grazing herd and scrub clearance.
The Estates team play a pivotal role ensuring that the Culloden Landscape Management plan is realised and that we ensure safe access for over 300 000 visitors per year.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
• Ensuring a high standard of health and safety practice is followed while undertaking practical maintenance and conservation at Culloden Battlefield.
o Ensure you follow all relevant and appropriate Health and Safety Risk Assessments and activity procedures.
o Complete all relevant Health, Safety and Welfare logs relevant to your work and ensure compliance with COSHH
o Assist in delivery of all operations to ensure, where relevant and practical, the property is managed to reduce risk to the visiting public.
o Have an awareness of specific environmental risks relevant to working on the property, e.g. Lyme’s disease.
• Carry out essential estate maintenance to a high standard – this will include
o Small scale repairs to fences, benches, gates and other countryside furniture
o Using and maintaining equipment including fencing tools, brush cutters and woodchippers
• Day to day care of the conservation grazing herd including cattle, goats and horses.
• Undertaking conservation work while following guidelines and regulations around scheduled monuments and archaeological sites
• Interacting with visitors at the site to communicate key visitor safety messages and act as a positive ambassador for the site and the NTS
• Work with and supervise volunteers in a safe and responsible manner helping them to maximize their input to the work needed at the site and their enjoyment of the experience
Application Deadline: Friday 29/07/2022