Visitor Services Assistant – Housekeeping
Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £22,672 pro-rata, per annum
Location: Culzean Castle and Country Park
To maximise our visitors’ enjoyment of National Trust for Scotland managed sites by maintaining the excellent standards we set across our properties to enable us to provide the best possible experience for our visitors. Providing an efficient, reliable service and high standards in housekeeping based on the needs of the property. Specifically, to ensure that all areas and public areas are cleaned and maintained to the highest standards, to make the property the best possible place to visit and work.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
The Housekeeper is responsible for a wide variety of housekeeping duties in connection with the well-being and care of the visited, non-visited and holiday accommodation at Culzean Castle and Country Parkas per the Trust’s Housekeeping Procedures Manual, including the following:
• Ensuring a high standard of cleanliness to all visited and non-visited areas of the property as directed by your line manager
• The general ongoing operational cleaning of all areas as necessary, as toilet cleaning, emptying waste bins and as appropriate vacuum cleaning, mopping, sweeping, dusting and polishing when required etc
• Working with the public, cleaning during trading hours.
• Ensuring site is ready to open and welcome visitors by the set opening time
• Actively support the Trust’s Conservation programme and undertake general housekeeping duties to the highest level of care which may include:
• In line with current NTS best practice, clean and care for the collection of furniture, books, artworks, glass, china silverware, other artefacts and delicate fabrics and curtains
• Checking of collections and domestic inventories during changeover
• Reporting losses/breakages, wear and tear and repairs required immediately to your line manager
• Provide support to enable functions and events to be successfully delivered
• Wearing correct uniform, name badges, or PPE as required
• reporting all H&S hazards, fire risks, and instances of damage and wear and tear issues promptly to the Visitor Services Supervisor,
• Routinely clean and look after the holiday accommodation and will involve but is not limited to:
o vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, polishing of floors
o dusting/polishing of surfaces and fittings such as furniture, ornaments, panelling, stairs, and doors
o dusting/wiping of sills, skirtings, door, and window frames
o cleaning of windows
o cleaning of lavatories, sinks, etc
o changing of bed linen and towels, and making of beds
o cleaning of bathroom/toilet areas and fittings
o cleaning of kitchen areas and equipment
o checking functionality of lighting, heating, TV/radio etc
o replenishing of welcome/hospitality trays, and consumables
o cleaning and providing clean laundry for each occupancy
o disposal of general household waste
• To be first point of contact in case of queries or questions from clients regarding the holiday property and to provide additional service or help when requested.
• Assist with the administration of any repair works, liaising with the Visitor Services Supervisor to arrange necessary repairs.
• Monitor the condition of furniture – reporting any loss or damage to the Visitor Services Manager.
• Ensure COVID 19 Guidelines and Safe Systems of Work is implemented effectively within function and with external contractors.
• Undertake any administration required in support of housekeeping, including (but not limited to): planning regimes for routine and in-depth cleaning; stock control and ordering of recommended cleaning consumables/janitorial supplies; recording work undertaken.
• Deliver excellent customer care to foster a friendly and inviting atmosphere for visitors.
• Share in the common responsibility of working in a manner mindful of the Trust’s obligations to minimise impact on the environment, through e.g., efficient use of water/heat/light, recycling and the disposal of waste, and considered use of transport.
In accordance with the property’s procedures, share in the common responsibility for the safe evacuation or management of colleagues and visitors in the event of a fire or security alert or alarm. This includes weekly fire alarm checks whilst cleaning and keeping a record of the checks
The current duties of this job do not require a criminal record (Disclosure Scotland) check to be carried out.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE
No formal educational qualification required.
Skills, Experience & Knowledge
• Sound previous housekeeping experience including
• Clean and current driving license
• Cleaning and presentation of areas open to the public or holiday-rental accommodation
• Evidence of acting to identify health and safety issues, required repairs, damage etc.
• Personal commitment to high standards of cleanliness
• Personal commitment to excellence in customer care
• Flexible, helpful outlook to customers and colleagues
• Attentive to detail with an eye for presentation and finish
• Ensure that all activities undertaken are compliant with the Trust’s health and safety policies
• Excellent interpersonal skills, with an ability to get along with a wide range of people
• This is a physical job, which will normally include use of vacuums, carpet cleaners, mop and bucket, lifting, fetching and carrying laundry and objects as well as the ascent and descent of both internal and external stairs
• Working flexibly in response to the needs to the business, including evening/weekend work and lone working
• An understanding and commitment to the aims and objectives of the National Trust for Scotland
• Living the values of the National Trust for Scotland and encourage colleagues to do the same
• The ability and willingness to understand others’ perspectives and to consider the impact of your actions on them and to adapt your actions as necessary.
• The ability and willingness to learn and try new things, to be flexible and step outside of your comfort zone.
• An open and honest way of communicating, ready to ask others for their ideas and to be open to hear and consider different points of view.
• A pro-active approach to taking initiative and to driving forward ideas and projects designed to improve daily operations and deliver an exceptional visitor experience.
Fixed term (to 31st October 23)
or permanent role available, 18 hours per week
Application Deadline: Friday 14/04/2023