Visitor Services Assistant - Retail
Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £22,672 pro-rata, per annum
Location: Culzean Castle
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
A Visitor Services Assistant is crucial to our visitors’ “first impression” of the property and in establishing and maintaining the Trust’s reputation as a guardian of Scotland’s heritage and as the organisation that actively wants people to engage with and enjoy the properties it cares for. As you will be working in a customer-facing role, this means you will directly engage with visitors so excellent customer and selling skills are imperative. The Visitor Services Assistant is expected to meet (if not exceed) sales targets.
You will ensure that the Gift Shop is presented to the highest standard and you are knowledgeable about the products sold within the Gift Shop.
• Cash handling/reconciliation
• To support the Visitor Services Supervisor in creative merchandising of shop displays and ensuring shop displays are consistently delivered to the highest standard.
• Delivering a high level of customer service
• Delivering and completing stock counts accurately
• A passion for product knowledge and upselling
• Supporting all aspects of stock management: ordering, receipting deliveries, and dealing with delivery discrepancies.
• Occasional ticket / membership sales and admissions
• Ensuring health and welfare of property staff, volunteers and visitors by adhering to the Trust’s Health, Safety and Environment policies and guidelines. This includes working within the property’s “Safe System of Work” (the system for managing Health & Safety).
The current duties of this job do not require a criminal records (Disclosure Scotland) check to be carried out.
SCOPE OF JOB
• Will work closely with other property colleagues, and will also have regular contact with specialist advisory colleagues based in other locations and departments (e.g. Visitor Services Manager, Operations Manager and the Central Retail Team)
• Will have regular (daily) interaction with members of the public of all ages and abilities
• Share Till Reconciliation Duties with other staff.
• Assist the Visitor Services Supervisor with stocktaking and delivery discrepancies
• To assist the Visitor Services Manager & VSS with accurate stock control procedures (write-off/wastage etc.)
REQUIRED SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE
The above outlines the key skills the job holder will need to possess and exercise. In addition, either knowledge of or experience in the following is required:
• Ability to work within a team or independently, with minimal supervision to a high and safe standard.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Ability to work well in a busy and diverse environment with a focus on customer service
• Previous experience in a busy retail environment
• Experience of merchandising retail displays, or willingness to undertake training
• Ability to be flexible, in particular to adapt working patterns and tasks to meet day-to-day variations in retail and property needs.
• Genuine belief in the value of good customer service.
• Demonstrable excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritise.
• Ability to be proactive and to take the initiative.
• Ability to take responsibility for own personal development
• Competent user of Microsoft Office Products.
• Experience with cash handling/working with financial data.
• Personal License
The Key Responsibilities, Scope of Job, and Required Qualifications, Skills, Experience & Knowledge reflect the requirements of the job at the time of issue. The Trust reserves the right to amend these with appropriate consultation and/or request the post-holder to undertake any activities that it believes to be reasonable within the broad scope of the job or his/her general abilities.
Application Deadline: Sunday 28/05/2023