Visitor Services Assistant - Welcome
Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £22,672 pro-rata, per annum
Location: Brodie Castle
Here at National Trust for Scotland’s beautiful Brodie Castle we are looking for energetic, cheerful, and talkative individuals to join our amazing welcome team this summer. No previous experience is needed, we would just love to hear from people who can interact and chat with our guests and make them feel welcomed and valued from the minute they arrive until we wish them farewell. This role is vital in providing an amazing welcome in all areas of the offer here at Brodie Castle, helping our visitors have a fantastic experience and create wonderful memories for our guests. Based in the Castle, Retail, Welcome Centre or initial welcoming areas, your role is to make a great day out truly exceptional for our guests. You’ll help us maximise all charity income opportunities through excellent customer service, product knowledge and taking a pride in everything we do, as well as inviting visitors to support our work through membership.
This role will predominantly focus on the tour guiding aspect of our visitor experience, and with an interest in history or storytelling you will help our visitors get a glimpse of the past while you show them around the Castle and share the stories of the family, the collection and the building itself.
• To provide excellent customer service to all who choose to visit.
• Be responsible and proactive. Ensuring all day-to-day tasks are completed as instructed.
• To welcome customers to the property by providing information on the site and facilities.
• Lead tours of the Castle and Grounds which tell the stories of the past, present and future of Brodie Castle.
• Work with the Visitor Services Managers and property staff to deliver financial targets and other KPI’s.
• Handling cash accurately and processing sales.
• Working closely with the Visitor Services Manager and property staff to ensure perpetually high levels of accuracy are maintained for stock inventories.
• To actively drive-up selling opportunities through strong product knowledge and an excellent customer service.
• Working with the Visitor Services Manager and property staff to ensure high standards of display, preparation, serving and merchandising at all times.
• To help manage car park arrivals.
• Cash reconciliation duties including end of day and administration tasks.
• Be able to take responsibility for your own development and learning.
• Have a flexible approach to working hours and days including working weekend and Bank Holidays as appropriate.
• To work across departments when necessary, supporting the wider Brodie Castle teams.
• To develop a working knowledge of the history of the site and being able to relate that to products.
• To provide consistently excellent customer service when dealing with high volumes of customers.
• Assisting in the general ongoing operational cleaning of all areas as necessary.
• Ensuring health and welfare of property staff, volunteers and visitors by adhering to the Trust’s Health, Safety and Environment policies and guidelines. This includes working within the property’s “Safe System of Work” (the system for managing Health & Safety).
• Play your part in ensuring that the presentation of all areas is of the highest standards including wearing of uniform.
The current duties of this job do not require a criminal records (Disclosure Scotland) check to be carried out.
SCOPE OF JOB
• Will have regular (daily) interaction with members of the public of all ages and abilities.
• Share till reconciliation duties, as appointed by Visitor Services Manager.
• Assist Retail with stocktaking and goods receipting.
Tools/equipment and cleaning chemicals
• Will be an occasional user of cleaning chemicals.
• Is expected to work and ensure compliance within the property’s ‘safe systems of work’ (the system for managing health and safety)
REQUIRED SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE
• Ability to work within a team or independently, with minimal supervision to a high and safe standard.
• Ability to be flexible, to adapt working patterns and tasks to meet day-to-day variations in visitors, catering and general property needs.
• Ability to adjust pace to match customer flow without compromising quality of service.
• Excellent front of house persona – warm, welcoming, patient and understanding.
• Genuine belief in the value of good customer service.
• Good interpersonal and communication skills.
• Demonstrable time management skills and the ability to prioritise.
• Previous tourism or tour guide experience.
• Interest in the work of the NTS.
The Key Responsibilities, Skills, Experience & Knowledge reflect the requirements of the job at the time of issue. The Trust reserves the right to amend these with appropriate consultation and/or request the post-holder to undertake any activities that it believes to be reasonable within the broad scope of the job or his/her general abilities.
Application Deadline: Sunday 25/06/2023