Visitor Services Manager
Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £33,702 - £37,281 pro-rata, per annum
Location: Haddo House
We are looking for an experienced and talented customer focused manager to join us at our fantastic property, Haddo House.
This is an exciting opportunity within the heritage industry and the ideal candidate must be passionate about our vision for the Future and what we do every day as a business: Bringing people together and giving them the greatest visitor experience.
Situated in wonderful parklands, Haddo House is an iconic historical landmark that has been part of the National Trust for Scotland since 1979. These days, Haddo House has established itself as the flagship venue of the Aberdeenshire North region.
Spread over four floors, Haddo House boasts one of the most impressive interiors in the area, with an incredibly rich & fascinating history. The flexible interior space making it idea for weddings, corporate hospitality, and events.
The property also comprises of; a large multi-use courtyard which houses the retail and catering areas, one of the best gardens in Aberdeenshire, as well as two function / events and conference spaces and a large events lawn.
You will be responsible for delivering a memorable experience to all
Delivering performance standards and targets to ensure excellent levels of visitor satisfaction, while maximising key commercial, financial and development objectives, to ensure the property is property fully sustainable.
Your vision and drive will continue to build on our current, from creating fresh visitor numbers, bringing fresh ideas to showcasing our site to a wider audience, to handling initial enquiries and delivering memorable visitor experiences. Ultimately ensuring Haddo House is recognised as a first-class visitor attraction.
You will be part of a broader management team responsible for delivering an overall visitor service strategy, promoting good communication within the property and across the division as well as a joined-up service provision.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
• Staff and volunteers – (recruitment, induction, development, motivation, performance management) such that they are fully equipped and motivated to undertake their duties to the required Trust standards and that staffing budgets are adhered to;
• Responsible for the line management of Visitor Service Supervisors and Visitor Services Assistants, within Haddo House.
• Instil a Health & Safety culture across the property, ensuring the team work within the properties Risk Assessments to reduce risk of incidents and accidents to volunteers, employees and visitors.
• Budgets – (setting, phasing, monitoring, reporting, pro-active and re-active adjustments together with the Operations Manager, General Manager, Business Manager and Finance Manager) to ensure that the finances are sustainable within the context of the wider property budgets;
• Plan and deliver annual events and functions strategy with support of NE regional office and Visitor Service Supervisors.
• Create a culture of ‘exceptional service, every time’. Delivering high standards of delivery and a consistently warm welcome within the catering department
• Driving the visitor services experience to achieve financial targets, maximising income, and profitability, using the Trust’s procedures and instructions. You will strive to be efficient and ensure cost effectiveness in all the work you do.
• Ensure the cornerstones of the National Trust for Scotland are achieved at every property namely, conservation, access and memorable visitor experiences for all guests.
• You will ensure high standards of presentation at all times, you may have delegated tasks within other departments and you will understand and help deliver your overall properties business plan.
• Taking responsibility for opening and closing and security of buildings as well as emergency procedure implementation, duty management and providing relief cover as required;
• The post holder will be designated for the property as the “responsible person” concerning issues around the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults. For this element of your role, you will be required to undergo a criminal record check.
• Managing visitor-related buildings and facilities (e.g. retail and admissions, building, plant sales area, rental accommodation).
• Ensuring that the longevity of the Trust’s buildings and fittings are maximised through appropriate maintenance and/or replacement regimes;
• To ensure that the property meets statutory and company requirements of Health and Safety, Food Safety and Environmental legislations and procedures including Waste Disposal and Allergens
• Adhering to the sale of alcohol legislation, being a Premises Manager.
• Deliver an attractive and engaging programme of tailored events which drive footfall to the estate.
• Supporting the Visitor Services Manager (Catering) to ensure catering standards are maintained.
The structure of the NE region includes three clusters named Aberdeenshire North (Haddo, Fyvie, Pitmedden, Fraser), Aberdeenshire South (Crathes, Drum, Craigievar) and Angus (House of Dun, Barries Birthplace, Barry Mill).
The Visitor Services Manager for Haddo House reports directly to the Operations Manager (Aberdeenshire North).
Additional support is provided through the NE Regional office team which comprises of General Manager, Business Manager, Heritage Services and Garden and Design Landscape Manager.
Central support resource is also provided through Consultancy Services.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE
• NVQ3/BTEC/City & Guilds/HND/Degree or equivalent experience;
• Management experience within a museum, visitor attraction or hospitality industry.
• Ability to work ‘hands-on’ – including in the retail, events and admissions areas – alongside the team members, demonstrating the customer service skills required of all staff.
• Proven experience of team building within and between departments.
• Has a solution focused approach and is able to act independently.
• Excellent presentation skills.
• Experience in a retail and sales environments
• Hold a valid and recognised SQA Licensing Qualification e.g. Scottish Personal License Holder’s Certificate and Personal License.
• Experience of managing social media and delivering promotional activities.
Application Deadline: Friday 11/11/2022