Visitor Services Manager - Food and Beverage
Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £33,702 - £37,281 pro-rata, per annum
Location: Glencoe & Glenfinnan
This is an exciting leadership role within the team that manages the popular visitor centres at Glencoe National Nature Reserve and Glenfinnan Monument. We welcome over half a million visitors from across the globe to these well-loved places and aim to give them all an enjoyable experience. Excellent food, drink and customer service are vital to this. And as Scotland’s largest conservation membership charity, every penny we make through our food and beverage offer supports our work protecting the nation’s natural and cultural heritage.
You will manage and develop the Highland Coo Café at Glencoe, with some of the finest mountain views around, plus the Viaduct View and the Monument View grab and go outlets within our facilities at Glenfinnan. You will also support a growing weddings and functions offer at each site. You will lead the catering team with menu design, food production, ordering, compliance and commercial performance, delivering a friendly, efficient service environment in line with the National Trust for Scotland’s policies, priorities, standards and targets. You will help make our places sustainable in every way.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
• Lead menu development, preparation, cooking and presentation of a distinctive, high-quality, locally-sourced food and drink offering at three busy café outlets, plus complementary events and functions.
• Create a strong health & safety culture, ensuring compliance with food hygiene and environmental health standards, monitoring and record-keeping.
• Accountable for cost-effective stock sourcing, ordering, management and wastage control.
• Understand and adhere to the sale of alcohol legislation as a Premises Manager.
• Develop innovative new food and drink products and projects to enhance visitor enjoyment, bring alive our stories and drive visitor numbers.
• Create a culture of exceptional service, every time, leading by example with the warm welcome you give.
• Regularly monitor customer feedback, mystery visitor and VisitScotland audits and develop suitable action plans based on their results.
• Provide inspirational content for social media and media promotion.
• Responsible for ensuring a safe and smooth visitor centre operation as part of the duty manager team, taking an interest in the effective running of all aspects of the visitor experience.
• Recruit, induct, develop and performance manage your team to ensure they are fully equipped and motivated to undertake their front and back-of-house duties.
• Ensure staffing numbers, catering rotas and holiday allocation meets business needs and budgets.
• Enable the team to operate within our ‘Safe System of Work’ to minimise the risk of incidents or accidents and ensure preparedness for emergencies.
• Work closely with property colleagues and specialist advisory staff like our regional Catering Development Manager to ensure our catering offer is closely aligned with wider strategic plans.
• Work closely with the Operations Manager to set, phase, monitor and report on budgets to deliver ambitious, sustainable commercial performance and cost control.
• Encourage a culture of up-selling and personal recommendations among staff to grow spend per visitor.
• Supervise safe and secure café till operations, perform end-of-day income reconciliation as a duty manager and conduct end of month and year financial procedures.
• Ensure the longevity of our equipment, buildings and fittings through appropriate maintenance and/or replacement regimes.
Application Deadline: Friday 29/07/2022