Visitor Services Manager - Food and Beverage
Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £28,644 - £31,523 pro-rata, per annum
Location: Brodie Castle
The Food & Beverage Manager is responsible for the full catering operation within Brodie Castle & Estate. This is currently 2 distinct catering outlets, one located in the Castle serving a traditional café menu, with c50 covers indoor seating and c60 covers of outside seating. The other catering outlet is located within Playful Garden with a distinct family aimed, sweet treats offer. This outlet has c60 covers indoor and currently c30 outside covers, although this has potential to be much larger. There are also 2 mobile catering units on site, these provide catering for larger events and again have potential for further use. The Catering Manager will be expected to develop the offers of all outlets to best suit the audience, maximise income potential and visitor experience within these settings. The Estate also hosts corporate events and weddings and contains 4 holiday cottages. The role can develop offers around these areas to further deliver income and experience.
Brodie Castle is set within a 75 acre “policies” estate, it is the ancestral home of the Brodies of Brodie and consists of a number of listed buildings including the main 16th century Z plan Castle, stables, walled garden, gate houses and gardeners bothy, as well as a number of estate houses currently used as holiday lets. The Castle consists of dressed rooms used as a guided tour visitor experience and houses a collection worth over £6m. Within the Castle is the main catering outlet and retail facility as well as housing the main estate offices. There is also the Lairds wing, a luxury 7-bedroom holiday let within the Castle.
The wider estate consists of a nationally significant designed landscape with Victorian Shrubbery, tree lined avenues, commercial forestry, agricultural land, and mature mixed woodlands surrounding a manmade lake. Within the old walled garden is a Playful Garden, consisting of imaginative play area, formal gardens, and the national daffodil collection.
The purpose of the role is to support the conservation of Brodie Castle & Estate by generating income through food and beverage operations whilst delivering the highest standard of visitor experience for all visitors and guests. This will be achieved by maintaining the highest standards of conservation and adhering to regional and national strategies, policies, and procedures.
Visitor Catering Experience
• Overall responsibility for the management and delivery of the catering facilities at Brodie Castle & Estate. This includes, but is not limited to, the Castle Café, Playful Garden Pavilion and 2 mobile catering units.
• Ensuring innovative ideas and current trends in catering are constantly being delivered in all outlets on site
• Setting objectives and being responsible for the overall, day-to-day running of the catering operations
• Leading and managing a team of staff; managing performance, recognising training needs and potential as appropriate
• Managing budgets – ensuring that, as a minimum, the financial targets agreed with, in line with the budget are met
• Devising, costing and sourcing menu items and consistently looking at ways of maximising income through effective purchasing and creative merchandising
• Adhering to the sale of alcohol legislation, being a Premises Manager
• Regularly monitoring customer feedback, Mystery Visitor and Visit Scotland Audits and develop suitable action plans based on the results
• Being visitor/customer focused by being visible, approachable, and quick to exceed expectations in fulfilling customer needs
Health & Safety, Food Safety, the Environment
• Ensuring that the operation meets statutory requirements of Health and Safety, Food Safety and Environmental legislations and procedures
• Conducting Food Safety and Health and Safety Risk Assessments and ensuring that all standards and procedures with regards to Hygiene and Safety are established and
• Recording and reporting all accidents within the location, adhering to location and company procedures
• Ensuring all equipment is well maintained and is in good working order
• Making recommendations for renewal and replacement of equipment when required.
• Establishing and maintaining location cleaning schedules
• Ensuring that all Trust procedures and work instructions are fully understood and practiced by all employees
• Promoting and encouraging environmental improvement initiatives as appropriate within the business
Application Deadline: Friday 26/08/2022