Visitor Services Manager - Functions & Events
Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £27,834 - £30,750 pro-rata, per annum
Location: Robert Burns Birthplace Museum
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
This specialist role exists to drive and deliver a wide programme of events and activities within Robert Burns Birthplace Museum (RBBM) primarily but also within the 2 satellite sites of Souter Johnnie’s Cottage and Bachelors Club; and to source sales and new hospitality business opportunities for weddings, functions and corporate business and ensure operational delivery of functions and events to a high standard. The post-holder will work closely with food & beverage and visitor services staff and volunteers, the Learning Manager and Curator within the property to ensure that functions and events are conceptually sound, financially and operationally viable, and appropriate for the Burns group of properties. The purpose of the role is to generate significant additional income to support conservation and learning at RBBM, and to encourage new audiences to visit the properties. This post requires energy, creativity, ambition and flexibility in order to create functions and events that make RBBM ‘Scotland’s must-see attraction, acclaimed internationally and loved locally’.
The Key Purposes of the job will be met by:
• Developing and ensuring delivery of a varied programme of events, including an appropriate marketing plan, in order to generate additional income and develop new audiences for the property and its satellite sites
• Proactively seeking new functions business
• Forward planning with management team and other staff and volunteers to ensure that functions and events operate efficiently and effectively
• Ensuring the efficient set up and delivery of all functions and events with excellent standards of customer service in line with client requirements.
• Ensuring that volunteers, staff and contractors brought in to deliver events or hospitality services adhere to the Events Manual guidelines
• Delivering events on time, within budget, that meet (and hopefully exceed) expectations
• Setting, communicating and maintaining timelines and priorities on every function / event
• Communicating, maintaining and developing relationships with clients, suppliers and contractors. Develop a strong network of customers and clients within the area and within the local communities. This is a key part of the role, and the post-holder must have a strong sales ability and excellent interpersonal skills
• Providing leadership, motivation, direction and support to functions and events staff and volunteers
• Proactively develop relationships with key industry players
• Acting as Trust Duty Manager
• Managing allocated budgets to ensure that expenditure is prudent and ‘value for money’ and income budgets are met and where possible exceeded in Events and Functions income. Ensure that income potential is maximised in Food & Beverage and Retail.
• Managing equipment and supplies (such as banqueting furniture, catering equipment and supplies, cleaning equipment and supplies, laundry) to ensure the operational efficacy of all aspects of functions and event delivery.
• Ensure the safe handling of the collection in its removal/storage during events is undertaken (by the appropriate collections care staff) in coordination with the Curator.
• Ensure the safe and appropriate transportation and handling of collection items when attending events / functions off-site, in co-ordination with Curator and Collections Care team.
• Ensuring that RBBM and NTS websites are kept up to date particularly with regards to events listings.
• Working with the property team to create interesting and appropriate social media content, ensuring it is appropriate, relevant and engaging.
• Develop a network of contacts to promote the Burns group of properties.
• Actively promote the events programme through the design and production of marketing material.
• Preparing business plans, sourcing and liaising with HQ for grant funding or sponsorship for events as appropriate
• Use of online ticketing systems such as Eventbrite for Events
• Ensuring excellent customer service and quality delivery
Health and Safety, and Environment
• Working within Health & Safety regime to ensure the H&S of staff/volunteers, clients, and visitors within the context of the Trust’s “Safe System of Work” regime
The current duties of this job do require a criminal records (Disclosure Scotland) check to be carried out.
SCOPE OF ROLE
o Management of staff and Volunteers working at functions and events
o Building and maintaining relations with catering and functions suppliers with whom we have or could build business relationships for RBBM
o Working closely with the Visitor Services Manager, Food & Beverage Manager, Facilities Manager and Learning Manager in planning and delivering functions and events
o Working closely with specialist Trust staff (e.g. Collections Care, Curatorial, and Hospitality) based at local and central support bases to ensure Trust policies and standards are implemented
• Delegated responsibility for the Functions and Events budget at RBBM
• Being responsible for all event project budgets from start to finish
• Sourcing and applying for grant funding or sponsorship for events as appropriate
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE
The above outlines the key skills the job holder will need to possess and exercise. In addition, either knowledge of or experience in the following is required:
o Significant sales experience and front-line interaction with customers
o Operational experience in Functions and Events management
o Ability and willingness to be hands-on in the delivery of the above points
o Experienced in managing functions and events and ensuring the smooth delivery in a pressured environment
o Creative flare
o Personal commitment to excellence in customer care
o Experience of fundraising for events through grant applications
o Attentive to detail with an eye for presentation and finish
o Excellent interpersonal skills, with an ability to get along with a wide range of people.
o Excellent presentation skills
o Evidence of teamworking and partnership working
o Good IT skills
o Previous experience of working with hospitality/catering suppliers and specialists
o A genuine understanding of and belief in, the work of the National Trust for Scotland
The Key Responsibilities, Scope of Job, and Required Qualifications, Skills, Experience & Knowledge reflect the requirements of the job at the time of issue. The Trust reserves the right to amend these with appropriate consultation and/or request the post-holder to undertake any activities that it believes to be reasonable within the broad scope of the job or his/her general abilities.
Application Deadline: Sunday 18/06/2023