Visitor Services Manager - Visitor Experience
Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £29,217 - £32,153 pro-rata, per annum
Location: Glencoe & Glenfinnan
This is an exciting leadership role within the team that manages Glencoe National Nature Reserve and Glenfinnan Monument.
We welcome over half a million people from across the globe to our Visitor Centres at these high-profile Highland attractions every year. We are looking for a positive and innovative Visitor Experience Manager to help us create amazing experiences for both tourists and our local community, to connect people with nature and history here, and to generate the vital income that enables our charity to look after these special places.
You will be responsible for developing our visitor offer, understanding our audiences, sharing stories and promoting what we do. You’ll ensure our team give excellent customer service to every visitor and achieve targets for improving visitor satisfaction, recruiting new members, organising a compelling engagement and events programme, and driving income from admissions and functions. You’ll also build upon our website and popular social media channels to engage with and inspire our supporters, virtually.
Leading staff and volunteers in the Welcome & Engagement team with positivity and enthusiasm, you will have direct responsibility for the arrival experience at both Visitor Centres, plus the Info Hub, Turf House and Exhibition at Glencoe VC, and, the Monument and Exhibition at Glenfinnan VC.
You will be a great team player who embraces change, inspires others to reach their full potential and enjoys working closely with a wide variety of people – both in our organisation and external partners. You will help make our places sustainable in every way.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
• Create a culture of “exceptional service, every time”, leading by example to deliver high standards of customer experience and a consistently warm welcome to all.
• Develop the visitor offer with imaginative new ways of sharing our stories throughout the visitor journey, through face-to-face interactions, guided tours, interpretation, signage, events and creative partnerships.
• Ensure we understand our audience and listen to feedback by encouraging the completion of visitor surveys and online reviews. Evaluate and act upon the results of these, and mystery visits, with the aim of achieving a 5* Star visitor attraction rating.
• Manage our social media channels with timely, engaging posts to build a virtual community of supporters and encourage people to visit at quiet times. Create content for website and other publications to share our key messages and provide accurate pre-visit information.
• Build relationships with our local community, tourism and heritage sector, seeking to encourage community involvement in what we do, through volunteering, education outreach, and partnership working.
• Responsible for interactive displays, exhibition kit and collection items in our care at both Glencoe and Glenfinnan visitor centres, maintaining high standards of presentation and functionality.
Staff and volunteer leadership
• Recruit, induct, develop and performance manage the Welcome & Engagement team (both employees and volunteers) to ensure they are fully equipped and motivated to undertake their front and back-of-house duties. Seek to improve staff satisfaction as detailed through staff surveys.
• Provide training and coaching to colleagues across both properties on VisitScotland 5* accreditation service standards.
• Work with the properties’ Visitor Service Managers for Retail and Catering to organise staff rotas and holiday allocation to meet business needs and budget allowances.
• Act as a member of the duty manager team, responsible for leading a smooth visitor operation, opening/closing the visitor centres, addressing issues and providing relief cover, as required.
• Instill a Health & Safety culture, risk assessing activities to minimise the chance of incidents or accidents and ensure everyone complies with emergency procedures and record-keeping.
• Lead the Welcome & Engagement team to achieve targets for membership recruitment, admissions and events, weddings and functions, maximising income and profitability, through a quality offer and strong sales techniques.
• Work closely with the Operations Manager to set, phase, monitor and report on budgets, delivering ambitious, sustainable commercial performance and cost control.
• As a member of the duty management team, supervise daily till operations and perform end-of-day cashing up and income reconciliation.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE
A proven track record of:
• Outstanding customer service skills and an enthusiasm for sharing stories
• Ability to take initiative, think on your feet and manage in a busy customer-facing environment
• Passion for heritage, tourism and generating income for a charity
• Ability to lead, inspire, train, influence and motivate a team
• Experience of successfully delivering projects to time and budget Confidence working with money, sales and targets
• Organised approach to time management, administration and record-keeping
• Confidence with social media, using online systems and Microsoft software like Outlook, Word and Excel
• Current driving license
• First Aid certificate (or willingness to train and use)
• Relevant training in tourism, events, marketing, business, heritage or museums sector.
This role is one for which the duties/responsibilities/accountabilities of the role require you to become a member of the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (PVG) scheme, administered by Disclosure Scotland.
The Purpose, Context, Key Responsibilities, and Person Specification reflect the requirements of the job at the time of issue. The Trust reserves the right to amend these with appropriate consultation and/or request the post-holder to undertake any activities that it believes to be reasonable within the broad scope of the job or his/her general abilities.
Application Deadline: Friday 14/04/2023